New Android Malware Steals Financial Data from 378 Banking and Wallet Apps

Discussion in 'mobile device security' started by guest, Sep 27, 2021.

1. guest

guest Guest

New Android Malware Steals Financial Data from 378 Banking and Wallet Apps
    September 27, 2021
    https://thehackernews.com/2021/09/new-android-malware-steals-financial.html
    ThreatFabric: ERMAC - another Cerberus reborn

2. longshots

longshots Registered Member

This is great news.
    People today choose convenience over security.
    The only way they will ever learn is through some hard lessons.

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I don't see how this can be considered to be good. It as nothing to do with choosing convenience over security, it's more about the need to only installs apps from the Play Store, unless you can be sure that an APK file is safe to install.

4. longshots

longshots Registered Member

How many people - exclude anyone who uses this website - even know what an APK is?

5. roger_m

Very few. But, unless you download and open the malicious APK, you won't get infected with this malware.

I use my bank's app for internet banking and don't have any security concerns. I only do online baking on my PC, once a year at most.

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Exactly, online banking on mobile phones is a joke when it comes to security.

I didn't know that you needed to download this malicious app from outside the Google Play Store, then how would people that are less tech savvy end up with this malware?

7. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Well, I have just read two articles. And to answer my own question, people may be asked to install these malicious apps via fake SMS messages where they even get instructions how to install APK files. But even worse, Google Play isn't exactly that safe either, see second link.

https://twitter.com/CERTNZ/status/1443701946485927944
    https://blog.zimperium.com/grifthor...llions-from-over-10-million-victims-globally/

8. roger_m

That is happening a lot in Australia at the moment. Many people are receiving texts from random numbers which tell them they have a voicemail. If they click on the link in the message, it takes them to a website where it instructs them on how to download and install an APK file to hear the message. Of course, the APK file is malware and not a voicemail app. It's important to note that, their phone will only get infected if they manually download and open the APK file. They won't get infected just by visiting the link.

While, as your second links shows, apps downloaded from the Play Store aren't always safe. But mostly they are.

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

10. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

Download, enable non-Google-Play installs, then install and finally grant ridiculous permissions.
    BTW OpenDNS still does not block Fake Bolt Food website. Quad9 does block it.

11. guest

guest Guest

Android Users Beware: New Hook Malware with RAT Capabilities Emerges
    By Ravie Lakshmanan - January 19, 2023
    ThreatFabric: Hook: a new Ermac fork with RAT capabilities

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.