Never in my life have I trusted in PC Tools

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Anti_Virus, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: If (perhaps a BIG if) PC tools is heading the right direction, they should at least have a gut to do the right thing right on this thread; clear the dirty air, that smog is chokking its glory future(if there is one). C'mon, do the honorable thing; come out of the woods. o_O

2. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Well...I do give the program credit where it is due. I have on multiple occasions given them praise for the the active shields as well as the percentage of spyware that their product detects and removes. So in those regards, the company makes a good product if all you want to look at is detectional and removal rates and I have pointed that out.

I have also pointed out where they have crossed the ethical line in my opinion. Of course, ethics aren't black and white. But if they deliberately put a FP in their product as it appears, that isn't just crossing the line, that is doing a celebration dance all over the line as they cross it. We also have the SKYPE hijack that advertises their product without your knowledge. These are black and white, clear violations of ethics. Then a number of other things are borderline calls, yet they always end to be on the shady side of the border.

So I must disagree with you in your assessment that I am being unfair. I believe that I am actually being perfectly fair, giving them credit where credit is due and calling them out when they have crossed the line. PC Tools makes a solid product (minues the false positives) but has chosen the low road, not the high road.

So how is it that you perceive this to be unfair?

3. btman

btman Registered Member

I said because they don't entirely deserve it... Atleast they are better then they were in version 3 and 3.4.

You are angry at them for the FP which I understand, but both are fixed.. And also it was one guy who added it to the database.. I'm sure he got alot of heck for doing it from both Eset and PC Tools. And you also don't like them because they advertise... Bad. But the reason I am not is... Because I am trialling (and maybe will pay for when the trial runs out) there program because it has good detection and protects against lots of malware... Thats all I want it to do... I don't care how they advertise as long as it does its job. Which is why I've forgiven them for silly mistakes.

At least when your giving your Thumbs up/down review for Spyware Doctor... You could be like I hate PC Tools because they did this: But Spyware Doctor is a great program.

4. ejr

ejr Registered Member

btman...yes, I am angry at PC Tools. I need to let that go. I really just need to stop going to their forum. I have spoken my peace, probably more than my fair share.

I do think they deserve every bit of negative press about certain underhanded practices that they employ. Maybe, just maybe that will get them to reconsider their stance.

But hey, it's their business, they can run it how they choose. And I as a consumer can choose not to support it. But I gotta let go of the negativity. I think I got it all out now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.