Network Scanning

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by EvilDave UK, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvilDave UK

EvilDave UK Registered Member

Does EAV 4.2 scan network traffic, i.e. that to/from a UNC path? I've noticed the option to enable/disable the scanning of mapped drives, but what about UNC paths?

Last night I was copying some files via the UNC path from our file server. It was taking ages, so I looked at Task Manager (Windows 7) and noticed ekrn.exe was using a chunk of CPU. So I disabled EAV completely, yet ekrn.exe was still running and the Live Stats in EAV were still showing a large amount of data being read.

Is this normal? I would have thought if I disable EAV, it doesn't read anymore data?

The same issue happens on a Windows XP machine, again with v4.2. The XP machine in question is a fresh build, only running EAV and built to see if this issue occurs on a standalone machine running nothing but the OS and EAV.

Is ESET aware of this issue? Are there any plans to fix the issue?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Do you mean that with real-time protection disabled the number of files scanned by real-time protection continued to grow?

3. EvilDave UK

EvilDave UK Registered Member

Under the "Watch Activity" screen, the "Amount of Data Read" was displaying a steady stream of 30MB of data even with EAV completely disabled.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

So I gather the number of files scanned by real-time protection is not growing which means no files are being scanned and EAV only watches disk activity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.