Network Magic Problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by silver0066, Jun 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

1. Network Magic Paid v4.70.823
    2. Linksys WRT54GX Router, latest firmware
    3. 3 Computers, 2 Wired, 1 Wireless
    4. 2 Ethernet ports built in, 1 wireless card built in
    5. All using VistaSP1
    6. Firewall: Commodo D+ (DISABLED)
    7. AntiVirus: NOD32 (DISABLED)

All machines have the same Firewall and Antivirus programs WHICH HAVE BEEN DISABLED.

On the Network Map each machine shows the other machines, however, the other machines have a yellow network alert stating that Network Magic is not installed on them.....IT IS!! I have uninstalled/reinstalled Network Magic on each machine but there is no change.

I have submitted log files and followed instructions from a ticket I sent to Support, but no help there.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can fix this problem?

Many thanks for any help.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Silver

I am a big Network Magic fan. Aside from the alert does everything on the network work as it's supposed too. Is it preventing you from doing something?

If the only problem is the alerts, I'd mark them don't re display, maybe report them and go one.

Pete

3. silver0066

Hi Pete,

Attached is a picture of the Network Map. It shows that the other computer that is running does not have Network Magic on it. If I tell it to share a folder, you can't see that share on the Voodoo in Network Magic. However, if I use the Vista Network Map in the Network and Sharing Center, I can see and use the shared folder.

It appears that Network Magic does not work with VistaSP1. It worked fine with XPProSP2 before I switched over.

Tech support can't seem to find an answer even though I sent them all kinds of logs.

Thanks for your help and interest,

Silver

Attached Files:

4. Peter2150

I don't know about Vista, and particularily SP1. If you have come to count on it as much as I do, I hope they can figure it out for you.

Pete

5. silver0066

Hi Pete,

I got it fixed. For future reference which is not explained in Network Magics FAQ or anywhere I could find:

If you switch to Vista or have to do a uninstall/reinstall you not only have to uninstall Network Magic but also the Network Magic Platform Service which I did not see in Add/Remove programs. Once I did that on all three computers, everything is working fine.

By the way, I again switched back to XP Pro SP2 from Vista. I tried Vista again after SP1 and it works OK but kept getting slower and slower even though I keep my machines clean. MS still has not got it together. Vista is very heavy and cumbersome and with some good security software, XP is just as or more secure than Vista.

I am using Vista Transformation Pack as I like the Vista interface. My computers all seem lighter and nearly twice as fast and responsive and I can use many more of the great programs that have not been optimized for or will even run on Vista yet.

Thanks for your help,

Silver

6. Peter2150

Hi Silver

Glad you got it working. I hear you about Vista. All four of my machines are all network magic'd and all Vista.

Network Magic is a neat app. I used to go nuts with networking, and sharing. Now it's a no brainer.

Pete

7. munckman

munckman Registered Member

Does Network Magic report all setting changes of each computer that have been changed in order for them to be networked? I have a simple set-up but I haven't saved the settings or have misplaced them. It consists of two computers connected with a crossover cable and uses ICS. The internet and file sharing work fine. I am looking for a program that reports all of the network settings of both computers. Does such a reporting tool exist?

thanks

8. Peter2150

I don't think so. What it does is make the settings that gets everything to work so you don't have to worry about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.