Network help

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Rico, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi I moved to Canada, & now have fiber optic, connection to internet, 1.5 gbps down.

Still waiting for moving van to arrive:

Now using wifi, one newer laptop gets approx 400mbps down, another (older) laptop gets 100 or less mbps down.

Speed consistent from modem/router URL shows 1.5gbps down

I understand the hit (slowdown) using wifi:

My plan & area I'm asking about is:

From ethernet port on providers 'modem/router' use available, ethernet port, to upstairs, to Netgear router. Then netgear ports, to other areas of house.

LAN to LAN

DHCP no changes modem/router or second router. Is that correct?

IP -address no change either, or change after sub net?

Can wifi channels be restricted (one area one, the other assigned not previously assigned), wifi then could be used, upstairs & downstairs, with no conflicts.. Correcto_O

Ethernet daisy chained, is that a hit, in speed? I'd hate stringing ethernet cable, & get 1/3 speed, from incoming speed test at modem

Thanks

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

You don't need a router upstairs, just an Ethernet switch. You should be able to put the Netgear router in switch only mode.

You cannot restrict wifi access to separate areas of the house unless you use multiple access points.

What I did in my house is use multiple switches off different Ethernet ports on my router. One goes downstairs to the den and computer room there. Another goes into the living room for the home theater system there. Wifi covers the whole house.
    Depends on how many devices are accessing at the same time. But switches are pretty smart when it comes to this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.