Network & Danger

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rico, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I have ethernet cables running to different parts of my house, & where I repair or (attempt) to repair, I split, the wire(s) one goes to my working computer, & the other wire "off" the splitter, generally just sit not connected to anything. Then when a sick computer comes along, I plug the free ethernet cable into it. How dangerous is this to my working computer, all working off the same router? Anyway to keep the bugs on the sick PC, so they don't mess up my work PC?

Thanks
    Rico

2. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

If you put a small managed switch at the splitter you could VLAN your immediate network with internet access and your PC/Router. Then the unVLAN'd port with 0 network access could be on its own port.

3. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi WhiteDragon,

Sorry! I don't understand, what I should buy or how to wire, what you said, or if software is involved. Kind a noobie with network stuff.

Thank You, Thank You
    Rico

4. Rico

Rico Registered Member

What freaked me out, was this:

I hooked up a friends sick machine, via ethernet, which is common to the house. The sick machine had no internet connection, dev mgr clean. Windows repair network fail, restore points fail. I'm futsing around the sick machine, then all of a sudden I lose internet on my working machine, I then unplug ethernet from the sick machine reboot work machine and all is fine. On the sick machine ran ADW cleaner reboot & on a lark click on IE, wow internet is back. Now running HMP on the sickie. I thought somehow the bug crossed over to the good machine.

FYI HMP (trial) found 78 big bugs, + 200 minor bugs

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.