Network Activity Indicator for Windows 7

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by roger_m, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

There are two things missing from Windows 7 which really annoy me. The first is that you can't do a repair install when booting form your Windows 7 DVD. While you can do this from Windows, this is of zero use if Windows won't boot.

The second one is that the network icons no longer show network activity. At least for this, there is an easy fix.

From raymond.cc
    http://www.raymond.cc/blog/get-back...ampaign=Feed: RaymondccBlog (Raymond.CC Blog)

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Some third party firewalls show network activity, but if you're not using one then this is useful.

3. d0t

d0t Registered Member

There's a software called Net Limiter. It's not exactly what you are looking for but I guess it could help :p

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

What is a "repair install"? Windows 7 can be "repaired" booting from either the installation disc or the "repair" disc.

5. roger_m

It works the same as doing an inplace upgrade - which is done from the Windows DVD once Windows has been started. It basically goes through and fixes any corrupt/missing files and registry entries. It is very good at fixing general Windows problems.

In the past it could be used to fixed issues such as BSODs or other problems which prevented Windows from booting. However, since with Vista and Windows 7 you can only do such a repair from within Windows, it's useless if Windows won't boot.

There is startup reapair in Vista and 7, which attempts to fix issues with Windows not booting, but usually it is not able to fix a non bootable Windows - whereas by doing a repair install, often such problems could be fixed. You can also start a system restore from the Windows DVD, however, quite often with a badly corrupted Windows, system restore won't work.

6. roger_m

I wasn't aware of this. However it a few years since I have used anything other than the standard Windows firewall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.