Netword drive mount difficulties

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by ultradj83, Aug 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ultradj83

ultradj83 Registered Member

Hello there.

I noticed some difficults in mounting a network drive as backup destination.

In simple words I have a network drive mounted as N: but it's not seen by the software.

To use it I need to unmount it and remount by program's GUI, but in this way it can be seen only by the software, I can no more browse it via file manager, also checking "permanent connection".

In simple words, I cannot point to the same share for general usage and backup at the same time, this means I cannot schedule automatic babkups.

Anybody noticed this, too?

Thanks and best regards

Thanks and best regards

2. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

ultradj83,

I have the Paid Version (and it has Scripting feature). .... (I am not sure, if the Free Version has Scripting support or not).

In the generated scheduled paragon Backup script, I would just edit the Backup Scheduled Script generated by paragon and change the "prefix" of the all the mapped drive network backup paths in the Script from "X:/..." to a "UNC" prefix:

i.e. \\computer-name\share-name\..................

1. For example on a windows lan setup:

\\computer-name\C$\your-backup-folder-path

Note: By default, windows create a default hidden share called "C$" which allows one with an administrative userid to access all the folders on the networked windows pc or file server.

2. For a Netgear Router with connected USB external hard drive, the UNC path should be something like:

\\ReadyShare\share-name\your-backup-folder-path

3. So then, in the Script change all references to network backup paths in the Script to the below bolded prefix:
    NOTE: Paragon uses right forward slashes for the folder/file name part of the path.

img = "\\computer-name\C$/your-backup-folder-path/arc_nnnnnnnnnnnnnnn_$(YEAR)_$(MONTH)$(DAY).pbf"

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  3. ultradj83

Thanks a lot for your suggestion, I will have a try asap.

Have a nice day.

4. JosephB

ultradj83,

BTW,
    1. Actually this is strange because I just tried it with my "older" Paid version of B&R 10 Home, running under Window XP and this worked for me. I mapped a network location on another pc in my home workgroup under Windows XP and my mapped drive letter was shown in B&R Home's destination window under my coputer section as a mapped drive path to select.

...... Just curious, are you using a Free or Paid Version of B&R Home or HDM and what Version of it ??
    ...... And is your mapped network location on a usb drive connected to a Router, ..... and if so what is the Router Brand o_O

2. P.S. I forgot to include the below UNC Path example, for use in the Paragon generated script:

..... So then, in the Script change all references to network backup paths in the Script to the below bolded prefix:
    NOTE: Paragon uses right (forward) slashes for the folder/file name part of the path.

img = "\\computer-name\C$/your-backup-folder-path/arc_nnnnnnnnnnnnnnn_$(YEAR)_$(MONTH)$(DAY).pbf"

5. ultradj83

Well I'm using the latest free version.

The target is a Netgear Stora NAS.

Thanks and best regards.

6. JosephB

ultradj83,

... Does the free version generate a paragon backup script also that you can modify ?
    ... If yes, did specifying a UNC path in the paragon psl backup script work ?

... P.S. The mapping drive issue sounds like a bug in the "free version". It would be best to open a support ticket with paragon to report it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.