Netword drive mount difficulties

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by ultradj83, Aug 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ultradj83

ultradj83 Registered Member

Hello there.

I noticed some difficults in mounting a network drive as backup destination.

In simple words I have a network drive mounted as N: but it's not seen by the software.

To use it I need to unmount it and remount by program's GUI, but in this way it can be seen only by the software, I can no more browse it via file manager, also checking "permanent connection".

In simple words, I cannot point to the same share for general usage and backup at the same time, this means I cannot schedule automatic babkups.

Anybody noticed this, too?

Thanks and best regards

Thanks and best regards

2. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

ultradj83,

I have the Paid Version (and it has Scripting feature). .... (I am not sure, if the Free Version has Scripting support or not).

In the generated scheduled paragon Backup script, I would just edit the Backup Scheduled Script generated by paragon and change the "prefix" of the all the mapped drive network backup paths in the Script from "X:/..." to a "UNC" prefix:

i.e. \\computer-name\share-name\..................

1. For example on a windows lan setup:

\\computer-name\C$\your-backup-folder-path

Note: By default, windows create a default hidden share called "C$" which allows one with an administrative userid to access all the folders on the networked windows pc or file server.

2. For a Netgear Router with connected USB external hard drive, the UNC path should be something like:

\\ReadyShare\share-name\your-backup-folder-path

3. So then, in the Script change all references to network backup paths in the Script to the below bolded prefix:
    NOTE: Paragon uses right forward slashes for the folder/file name part of the path.

img = "\\computer-name\C$/your-backup-folder-path/arc_nnnnnnnnnnnnnnn_$(YEAR)_$(MONTH)$(DAY).pbf"

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  3. ultradj83

Thanks a lot for your suggestion, I will have a try asap.

Have a nice day.

4. JosephB

ultradj83,

BTW,
    1. Actually this is strange because I just tried it with my "older" Paid version of B&R 10 Home, running under Window XP and this worked for me. I mapped a network location on another pc in my home workgroup under Windows XP and my mapped drive letter was shown in B&R Home's destination window under my coputer section as a mapped drive path to select.

...... Just curious, are you using a Free or Paid Version of B&R Home or HDM and what Version of it ??
    ...... And is your mapped network location on a usb drive connected to a Router, ..... and if so what is the Router Brand o_O

2. P.S. I forgot to include the below UNC Path example, for use in the Paragon generated script:

..... So then, in the Script change all references to network backup paths in the Script to the below bolded prefix:
    NOTE: Paragon uses right (forward) slashes for the folder/file name part of the path.

img = "\\computer-name\C$/your-backup-folder-path/arc_nnnnnnnnnnnnnnn_$(YEAR)_$(MONTH)$(DAY).pbf"

5. ultradj83

Well I'm using the latest free version.

The target is a Netgear Stora NAS.

Thanks and best regards.

6. JosephB

ultradj83,

... Does the free version generate a paragon backup script also that you can modify ?
    ... If yes, did specifying a UNC path in the paragon psl backup script work ?

... P.S. The mapping drive issue sounds like a bug in the "free version". It would be best to open a support ticket with paragon to report it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.