NetVeda 3.61 released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Arup, Apr 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arup

Arup Guest

Guess apps like Norton keep the memory market alive.

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I continue to trying the NetVeda and I'm very impressed...

It's very stable, use very low resources, easy to use, great protection, and all these for FREE!!! :D

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi guys,

Anyone switch from ZoneAlarm (I have the Pro version) to NetVeda? If so, can you give my your reasons and any experiences.

Thanks.

Rich

4. Rich....If you are a family man....you will love the filters...from "erasure" feature
    that prevents someone young from giving out real name...address..phone no.
    If you have a small lan....it only has to be on one machine.
    Pretty much ready to go out of the box....the app control I believe matches the
    big boys.
    For example: On a alarm...It will show what launched it....like a leak test.
    or if something has changed....a list of dlls. There is a 60 second timer..and
    if you don't answer in that time....your connection times out....that's nice
    if you happen to be away from your PC at the time. You can set it up to 120 seconds if you want more time to check them out.

5. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

This firewall sounds great and I'm anxious to compare it to ZA, which works well for me but is a resource hog and causes slow startups!

Having visited NetVeda's website, I presume you guys are raving about their Safety.Net product, is that correct?

Thanks

6. pvsurfer

Thanks a lot for the info and screen-shot. I use a wireless router to share my internet connection with another PC in the house. Is there anything I should know about using Safety.Net in this regard?

7. Sorry....I'm on a solo PC....but Arub uses it on his wifes machine....I'm sure
    he or clansman can help you on that..or answer your questions.

Here is the forums addy....and I hear Email questions are answered quite promptly.

http://forums.netveda.com/

8. Arup

Arup Guest

pvsurfer,

Just select router configuration under the Internet zone, thats all.

JW, I am Arup with a P, not a B.

9. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

NetVeda 3.61 is a great little firewall but like Clansman reported at one time I'm getting corrupt downloads. I tried the solution he offered (creating a new application rule for Free Download Manager under Groups...then create a rule under Security>Advanced Internet Firewall that goes Outbound>Allow>Services All>Application FDM>Local/Remote Network All) yet I still get corruption. The only way I've found so far to download without corruption using NetVeda is to give Free Download Manager full access via Default User>Application Control> Full Access, but I feel vulnerable resorting to that. I've never had this kind of problem with any other firewall before. Any ideas?

10. Arup

Arup Guest

Just limit FDM to outbound port 80 TCP.

11. I just installed this firewall, but I could use some help with its initial configuration. I use a DSL modem and a router to share the internet with my wife's PC.

Under Network Adapter Configuration, I don't know which of the following two:

_3Com Gigabit LOM
    _WAN Miniport

I should check for each of the following two categories:

Internet
    LAN Adapters

This newbie really needs some guidance here!

12. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Internet = wan miniport
    internetLAN = 3com

if that doesn't work out, try their support directly via email. They're very helpful

edit... stupidity!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  13. no 13: If I understand your reply correctly, you are suggesting I check BOTH boxes under the Internet category. Is that correct?

Should I also check both boxes under the LAN Adapter category?

14. no13

NO NO

under internet... ONLY "WAN MINPORT"
    under LAN... the remaining one which is usually the LAN card name [or router, if using USB]

15. Ok, I'll try that setup... thanks!

16. Arup

Arup Guest

Also make sure to select Router configuration in NetVeda.

17. pvsurfer

Hmm, it sounds as if I have similar hardware to NetVeda Newbie, but (no offense intended) the advice from NetVeda's Tech Support differs from yours!

Since I too didn't know what to check in the very same sections, when e-mailed Tech Support, their reply was "'3Com Gigabit LOM' appears to be the right choice".

What would be the tell-tale signs that I checked the wrong device in the Internet / LAN Adapters sections? o_O

18. no13

Well...

If your firewall keeps jumping up and down about LAN access when you're using the internet, or vice versa, then i gues it should be a problem symptom. Or when you're getting NO prompts AT ALL.

Please remember Arup's advice as well. routing config MUST be set properly.

Attached Files:

19. pvsurfer

I have 'NAT Router' checked and everything seems to be working ok with my present settings, but who really knows? :doubt:

20. How do you like NetVeda so far Pvsurfer?...once you explore it...you'll find
    out if offers a lot of options.

21. pvsurfer

It's not bad, but I think I'm going back to ZA. I find ZA's program-access controls more robust (and more intuitive to use) than any other firewall I've tried!

22. Pvsurfer.....Hmmmm I'm just the opposite...NetVeda is easier for me to
    understand. I was just not comfortable with ZA and how it does things.

But I have to believe using Outpost first...helped me with NetVeda.

Well as long as they keep the "bedbugs" from biting...that is what is improtant
    and how a person feels with the product they are using.

23. Arup

Arup Guest

ZA is quite good except for rule creation, creating a outbound port 80 block in NetVeda, Kerio, Sygate, Jetico was a breeze, till today I can't figure out how to do it in ZA.

24. no13

hey, didya check out what we all did in our configs?
    Check out the previous posts, becuase we have enabled component control and 'ask' on new program access, so I feel it's waay better than ZA, and very very light.
    has 2 services running at any time [firewall, taskbar icon] with about 6.4 MB RAM usage, 128MB VM size... no appreciable hit on performance.

PS... if you do go further with NetVeda, do check out how Just Wondering set up rules for explorer.exe... it's kinda important, and educates you of how strong is component control is, and how well it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.