Netscape Navigator for Windows 9.0.0.6

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hogndog, Jul 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

Sounds like fun, is anyone else using this browser from the days of yesteryear? :argh:

Softpedia Editor's Review for Netscape Navigator

EDITOR'S RATING:

A brand new version, based on Firefox, but with more performance improvements

Written by Elena Opris on November 16th, 2011
    Netscape Navigator is a web browser built on the Mozilla platform. So, if you're on the hunt for new ways to navigate on the Internet, why not try something inspired by the best in the business?

The installation process takes little time to complete, and there are no extraordinary features to it, so, you can safely initiate the Navigator afterward.

The user interface looks extremely familiar - same search bar on the upper right corner, same add-ons, same Options interface... maybe Netscape has borrowed one too many elements from Firefox, but at least it has its well-known colors (which take after ESET Nod32 a little).

Features found in Netscape Navigator include an improved newsfeed support and methods of discussion, submission, the possibility to vote web pages, multi profile support, extensive security center, one-click searching from the address bar, Click-to-Seach, tabbed browsing, and others.

The default search engine is AOL's, but you can easily change that. Time it takes Nescape Navigator to load a page is fast, but not faster than in the case of its "mentor", and it gets stuck or crashes, in some rare occasions.

In addition, memory resources are significantly used, even when there's only a single web page opened, with text content.

Unfortunately, support for Netscape browsers was discontinued a while back, so the Navigator recommends you use Flock or Firefox.

Nevertheless, Netscape Navigator proves to be a pretty good alternative to other weaker web browsers, and it definitely deserves a fair trial. It's free, after all.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Browsers/Netscape-Browser.shtml

And as far as safety what do you think?

Tia..
    Hogndog

2. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

I'm confused by this...thought NN was dead? Last updated ~2008? Wouldn't think it's very safe to use if that's the case.
    http://www.oldapps.com/netscape.php?images=2762

That's what's confusing.....was it updated/patchedo_O

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  3. hogndog

I know but then i see this towards the bottom of the page..

Anti-Spyware Protection
    · Dynamic Security Center
    · Profile Manager
    · Enhanced RSS support
    · Undo tab close
    · Tabbed browsing enhancements
    · Performance improvements

4. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

I'd give it a spin if I thought it was safe. Guess it would be ok if sandboxed.

5. hogndog

I forgot to mention i use Sandboxie. I used Netscape Navigator years ago and over the years I've watched people using the newest browser with all of the safety features still get infections. We all use or supposedly use the best security applications to protect our machines, might as well put them to good use, awe its just a thought I'd be interested to see what some other members think, thanks for your reply.. ;)

6. hogndog

Well i found out what i didn't want to know, the Eula stating that third parties pretty much could do things they wanted to do at any given time and that i had to agree to let them. In my opinion that opens the door for adware spyware and nightmares which leaves me nowhere.. :(

7. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Seems pointless if it is based on Firefox. It would be at least as easy for someone to make a Firefox theme that would look pretty much the same.

8. hogndog

I wouldn't have thought much about it but after i opened my task manager while using Chromium i wanted something that wasn't so resource hungry and the navigator filled the bill "already using Firefox" It was a shame when they discontinued that browser, it was everything people say they are looking for in a browser, light on resources and fast, nice interface as well.. :)

9. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Navigator lost the browser war with Internet Explorer, then they made it open source (project called Mozilla) and it was rebranded to Firefox :D

10. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I have soft spot for NN since it freed me Internet Explorer. :D But I can't see going back to it at this point. It seems to have ongoing development but it's hard to find any information about it, other than it's available for download.

11. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

this :thumb:

12. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

I don't think it's been updated. NN 9.0.0.6 was the last official stable release which dates back to Feb 2008 and was based on Firefox 2.0.0.12. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netscape_(web_browser)#Release_history

Even though the review has a date of Nov 16th 2011 I feel it's just a reposting of an old review that also dates back to 2008 when NN 9.0.0.6 was initially released.

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I never got to use NetScape.
    When i started using computers back in 2001 (Yeah late to the game :D) i always used IE, then switched to Chrome in 2008 and haven't changed since then. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.