Netscape Mozilla

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Franks27, Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franks27

Franks27 Registered Member

Just updated to Spyware Blaster v3.2 Running Win XP Home Ed and Netscape v7.1. Spyware Blaster under Protection advises IE and Restricted sites protected with Mozilla/Firefox not installed, but Tools | Browser Pages lists 8 IE Browser Pages and 2 Mozilla pages which are the default.
    My query is should Mozilla be listed as protected to protect Netscape.
    Not sure but seem to remember with Blaster v3.1 Mozilla was listed as protected.
    FrankS

2. sunflower

sunflower Registered Member

I'm reprinting info from a couple of earlier posts of mine and Javacool's advice:

JC: Did version 3.1 take a long time to load?

No, it didn't. The mozilla/firefox protection did take a few seconds longer to load than the others.

JC: This sounds like the result of an extremely large registry.dat, something that Netscape has been known to create on certain systems.

Can you please search your computer for "registry.dat" (without the quotes) - there should be one in an "Application/Data/Mozilla" folder under your user profile. Then, check the size. If it's a few MB or more, you are probably experiencing that issue. (It should be a few KB in size.)

SUNFLOWER: I did have a large registry.dat file. After reading Javacool's advice and doing a little checking, I did the following--I first disabled the SB protection then uninstalled it. Then I deleted the registry.dat file while Netscape was open, then closed it. All my settings, bookmarks, mail, etc were saved, but I did make a backup of my profile folder as a precaution. I reinstalled SB 3.2 and this time it did enable the mozilla/firefox protection. Success! I also marked my registry.dat file as read-only as someone suggested. Now my .dat file is only a couple of KB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.