Netscape Founder Backs New Browser

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Story.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Can't read that, it asks me to login ... :(
    Mrk

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Not sure what the problem is as it works fine here on two different browsers. o_O

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Works ok here.....

5. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

Mrkvonic,
    I got the same login screen with my default settings: no cookies.
    When I allowed NYTimes cookies, I got the article.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I got through just fine also. It's WAY too early to make any real judgments, but I'm already not going to be too big of a fan if they incorporate social networking abilities into it, it just isn't safe to me. If people need/want to log into these places, they can. There's no need to embed any of these "features" that could very well poke a hole right through whatever security this browser is going to have. That's simply the opinion of a guy who sees nothing but trouble ahead for Web 2.0, Cloud, all these "new waves of the future".....err, back on topic, we'll see what this thing is sooner or later.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Works ok now ... nothing changed. Temporary glitch?
    Mrk

8. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

Thanks for that link Ron, that made for an interesting read.

I still don't understand how microsoft's internet explorer took users away from netscape navigator - it couldnt've been because it was a better browser though??

I remember "back in the day" (for me at least) around '97, I always used netscape communicator or navigator, I didn't use internet explorer unless it was to get windows updates. I remember on dialup it taking around 4 or 5 hours to download the 17 or so meg setup for netscape, then being proud after it's install to see that first run of the newest version :D

As an aside, there was an extremely cool add-on program for netscape browsers called "flying toolbars" - what this program did, was to hide the main browser panel up top, greatly increasing web page viewable size - all you had to do was move the mouse up top and the browser main panel re-appeared again so you could do your navigating or whatnot. I have since looked around now and again for a similar tool compatible with today's browsers, and have been amazed to find nothing like it - it really was a cool thing....

Anyways, this new browser, i'll give it a shot when it comes out, I see no reason not to :thumb:

9. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Actually, it was. It was faster, more standards-compliant, less buggy, and was free whereas you had to pay for Netscape.

10. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I would be concerned about the safety and social networking features too.
    Not something I would be very excited about.

11. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Microsoft used their muscle, and got vendors to bundle IE plus offered better deals to Netscape distributors to ship IE instead. Also yeah IE was better, not in the beginning but around IE4-5 it was.

The documentary "Browser Wars" is a good one if you get a chance to watch it, funny stuff the Microsoft guys dropped a truck sized IE symbol on the front lawn at the Netscape building with a note "We love you" after they took the lead.

I'm surprised Marc Andreessen is doing another browser, should be interesting.

12. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

MS was threatening HP and other pc makers that if they installed Netscape on their OEM's they would revoke their windows license. That is one of the tactics that MS used.
    Another tactic that MS used was integrating IE into windows during the browser war that helped them further monopolize the industry.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2009
  13. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

That's a pretty ~Snip~ serious statement to backup WITH ZERO EVIDENCE. Simple statement: Proof, now, or erase your post.

14. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Competitive Impact Statement: http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/f222900/222994.htm

Direct Testimony: http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/f1900/1999.htm

In respect to MS integrating IE into the OS beginning with v4 is common knowledge.

As far as your simple statement to me "Proof, now, or erase your post." I erase my posts as I see fit, not under yours or anyone else in this forum's instruction. As far as the Mods go, if they want to delete any of my posts then that is their prerogative.

15. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Thank you, and no, don't ever expect to make such bold claims without attaching proof to your posts. There's too many people spread rubbish as fact already on this forums.

I find it comical my post was modified when it didn't even contain a swear word Ronjor.

16. chrome_sturmen

Johnny dollar thanks for those links, they made for interesting reading also.

It's nice to know that microsoft is being forced to include other browsers in windows 7, i mean integrating a browser into an operating system kernel has gotta be the dumbest thing going around anyway.... that and other such things is why i have opensuse installed and im learning to use it properly, working steadily to decrease my dependence on microsoft's operating systems to the point where i can take them or leave them :'(

~Off topic comments removed~

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2009
  17. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Your welcome, quite lengthy too wouldn't you say?

~Quoted comments removed~

:D

18. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Why should anyone care what someone thinks or endorses whose claim to fame dates back 15 years ago? The product isn't even there yet...

http://www.rockmelt.com/

19. chrome_sturmen

15 years is barely a drop in the comprehensive ocean of time my friend, its relatively recent as regards landmark development in browser technology. there are people that still garner respect for developments they made hundreds of years ago.

~Off topic comments removed~

20. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

As far as I know you will have the option to turn IE off in win7. I didn't know about them being forced to include other browsers in win7.

21. chrome_sturmen

i heard a month ago or so when i was listening to steve gibson's security now netcast that folks will have a choice as to what browser they want to use when theyre installing windows 7, that it will include several browsers including opera and firefox...

22. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Oh ok, that is interesting. Come to think of it I think I remember reading about that too.

23. chrome_sturmen

personally i dont care - im not planning on using windows 7 anyway, and even if i were i wouldnt use it till itd been out a year or so to give microsoft time to patch all the security flaws its bound to have, i prefer matured operating systems. im dual booting opensuse 11 and windows server 2003 at this point, with the windows side im using fdisr to i can make use of different configs, so im in a fairly good place. good thing, since i have alot of work to do that has absolutely nothing to do with operating systems.

24. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I think because of what they had going at Netscape, and this same guy that started Netscape is starting to form this rockmelt. It just brings (to me anyway) a little bit of apprehension and curiosity as to what this man and his group will bring to the table. Are they going to have a meteoric rise to the top of the browser world again, or will they fail into mediocrity? Time will tell. Competition is a win win for the consumer.

25. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I duel boot Vistax64 and XPx86. I checked out Win7x64 for a couple of weeks. It does have a few nice added innovations, but the impression that I got was that it is more of a Vista second edition. The difference between Vista and 7 is a lot more narrow than that between Vista and XP IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.