Netflix’s Problems Have Only Just Begun

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Jul 21, 2019.

1. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I pay 13,50 USD a month for Premium (4K, Dolby Digital, Atmos etc.). I hope it will stay ads free.

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

These premium accounts will of course stay at free. But if you compare Netflix Basic (with ads) with another ad supported service like Freevee, it looks like a freaking joke. But it depends on what you're looking for, I'm into horror, sci-fi and mystery/thriller movies for example.

https://www.justwatch.com/us/provider/netflix-basic-with-ads/movies?genres=hrr,trl
    https://www.justwatch.com/us/provider/freevee-amazon-channel/movies?genres=hrr,trl

3. pegas

pegas Registered Member

OK, good to know.
    Stream quality. I have a 4K Panasonic QLED TV so I want to utilize its technology to max.

4. guest

guest Guest

Netflix’s new feature lets subscribers kick devices off their accounts
    By Lauren Forristal @LaurenForristal - November 15, 2022
    Netflix: Giving Members Additional Control Over Their Account

5. Rasheed187

OK I see, but what I meant was that it depends on what content you're looking for. At the moment, Netflix and even Prime Video are not giving me what I want when it comes to movies. In fact, I think Netflix sucks.

Strangely enough it's the ad-based streaming services like Freevee, Tubi and Pluto TV that have the best content, but I can't access them on my LG smart TV since it doesn't support Android. And I haven't got a clue if they support VPN's.

6. pegas

pegas Registered Member

OK, understood. I’m fine with Netflix content. Gives me more enjoyment than HBO, Disney, Vodafone and others I’m subscribed to.

7. Rasheed187

Yes, I'm not into Netflix Originals at all. And soon they will also lose streaming rights of many movies since I doubt Disney, Warner Bros and others will license them to Netflix since just about everyone now has their own streaming service. Even Amazon bought MGM, quite a smart move.

So I don't think the future looks too good for Netflix and perhaps they will indeed need to go into live sports streaming. BTW, I have made a list of my favorite movies, this is the content that I would like to see. And that's why I'm using a VPN, because most of these movies are not available on Netflix and Prime Video in The Netherlands.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls046424878/?st_dt=&mode=grid&page=1&ref_=ttls_vw_grd&sort=list_order,asc

8. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I'm not sure. While they lose some rights they buy other ones. In addition they're spending huge resources on their own production and for instance with The Gray Man they proved they can already make the Hollywood style movies.

Btw, a pretty impressive list of good old school movies. ;-)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
  9. Rasheed187

Yes but the question is if these companies are willing to sell those licenses, think of Paramount, Disney and MGM. So Netflix will eventually end up mostly with its own Netflix Original productions, and in my view most of them suck.

And thanks, I'm indeed mostly into older movies, those were the good days. I believe that Hollywood has been in a huge crisis for the last 5+ years or so, there's a lack of talent. Luckily I can watch these old movies over and over again, they don't get boring to me.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
  10. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Yeah, time will tell but business is business. So if there would be a chance to makeup some money for the big movie companies they will do that even if it's with Netflix or any other streaming services.
    It's a matter of opinion :)
    So do I but watching "modern style movies" also brings me pleasure. However I'm most amazed by new technologies (movies and TV) like 4K, Dolby Atmos etc. Sometimes even more than the story ...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  11. Rasheed187

Yes, as long as they can make money they will license movies, but it won't be the newest blockbusters. But that's why services like Tubi and Freevee exist, they probably need to pay a certain amount to the movie studios for what they make on ad revenue. And personally I don't really care about 4K and special effects, a low budget movie can be 100x better than big budget movies, simply because of the story and great acting.

12. guest

guest Guest

Netflix Forced To Refund Money Back to Advertisers After Lackluster First Month With Their Ad-Supported Tier: Report
    By Samantha Nungesser @samjnungesser - December 15, 2022

13. Rasheed187

Yes, this is quite bad news! The Netflix stock dropped about 30 bucks on Wall Street, but let's hope that it will attract more users in 2023.

14. Rasheed187

Here are some more rumors by Reuters. If you can't read the article, then simply clear your cookies for this site. As I said before, to me this deal would make sense in order for Netflix to survive in the streaming business. They need lots of cash to compete with the likes of Amazon, Disney, Paramount and Warner Bros Discovery. And I also think M$ will be able to afford a whopping $130 billion especially if the $70 billion deal with Activision Blizzard gets cancelled by regulators.

https://www.reuters.com/breakingviews/netflix-will-be-next-microsofts-shopping-list-2022-12-20/

15. guest

guest Guest

Despite challenges, Netflix says its ad tier is doing well
    By Sarah Perez @sarahintampa - January 7, 2023

16. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Microsoft taking over Netflix can't be good surely.

17. Rasheed187

I actually think it would make sense, since it would allow them to add more content to the ad-based subscription, but M$ should then not overpay for Netflix. I believe that free ad-based streaming services like Tubi and Freevee are doing quite well.

Strangely enough, over here in Netherlands, the Microsoft Store has the most movies that are available for pay per view. But there is no MS Store app for LG smart TV, which is even weirder. But what I'm trying to say is, I'm sure that MS can add many of those movies to Netflix.

18. guest

guest Guest

Netflix inches further into livestreaming as it snags the SAG Awards
    By Kris Holt @krisholt - January 11, 2023
    SAG: The SAG Awards to Stream Live on Netflix Beginning in 2024

19. guest

guest Guest

Netflix founder Reed Hastings is giving up his CEO role
    By Rebecca Picciotto - January 19, 2023

20. guest

guest Guest

Netflix’s paid password sharing to roll out ‘more broadly’ in the coming months
    By Emma Roth - January 20, 2023

21. guest

guest Guest

Netflix says it’s open to adding free streaming ‘FAST’ channels to grow its ads business
    By Lauren Forristal @LaurenForristal - January 20, 2023

22. Rasheed187

I'm all for this if it means they will get the same kind of content you can find on Tubi, Freevee and Plex. Actually, I'm willing to pay for it. I'm actually kind of surprised that Netflix doesn't offer many of the older movies especially since they pay a whopping $32 billion a year for both licensed content and Netflix Orginals. But most of the movies and series they offer are still crap, this is simply outrageous. Also, how can they invest so much if their yearly revenue is $31 billion, what am I missing?

23. guest

guest Guest

How Netflix wants to prevent account sharing
    By Martin Brinkmann - January 31, 2023

24. guest

guest Guest

Netflix removes one Premium tier limitation, dramatically expands spatial audio support
    By Chance Miller @ChanceHMiller - February 1, 2023

25. guest

guest Guest

Netflix hides information about account sharing crackdown after details were spotted in its Help Center
    By Sofia Wyciślik-Wilson @Sofia_W_W - February 2, 2023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.