Netbook won't boot

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Snoop3, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

I have a netbook computer and hadn't used this one for a while and now it won't boot. I took out the HDD and it works fine. When i try to power up 2 lights come on, one for WIFI and one thats just kind of an "on" light i guess, the HDD light never went on. It never even got to a BIOS screen or anything. Checked the battery and its fine, ran off electric power and nothing changed.

IIRC when i used this netbook about 8 months ago, it had trouble powering up a few times but eventually did work.

Just wondering if there's anything to be done or if its toast.

2. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Could be toast. Remove the battery, unplug from the power. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Plug in the power but leave the battery out. Does it boot up?

3. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

thanks for the response.

i did that and just got the same thing, two lights and nothing else :(

4. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Try another charger, preferentially one equal or a universal. Just make sure that the voltage is correct.

5. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

i don't think's it. i have 3 different batteries that i've tried + they still work with a similar model netbook and 2 interchangeable power adapters, both work and i run it off a bank of universal external laptop batteries also - all of these used to work with it (Samsung N130) and still do on a slightly diff model of same maker of netbook(Samsung N110).

i was gonna ask, is there possibly something wrong with the BIOS if it can't even get to that sceen? the monitor does nothing at all.

6. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

If nothing's wrong with the charger and the voltage is correct, it may be the case that the graphics chipset is damaged (very frequent cause for the problem you describe, and more likely than a specific problem with the BIOS, although it may also happen).

7. axial

axial Registered Member

If you haven't yet found them, the SammyNetbook.com website has good info and great forums about all things Sammy-netbook-related. I've seen references on those forums to a utility called "BatteryCare" which apparently can check battery levels but I know nothing else about it.

8. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Dont rule a bad memory stick.Had one go bad with a HP laptop.pulled out the bad stick and it booted up perfect there after.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.