NetBIOS

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Patrice, Apr 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. root

root Registered Member

Hmm...........
    I just checked my XP machine and I still have Netbios checked, it's just not being used.
    I think if you have two machines that have the IPX/SPX protocol installed, they should communicate thru that protocol. If you cannot share files between the two machines, make sure your firewall is not blocking it. I use Outpost, and Outpost does not filter NetBEUI or IPX/SPX, but I don't know about LNS.

2. Patrice

Patrice Registered Member

Hi root!

If you install NetBIOS, these two protocols are added on your system:

NWLink-NetBIOS
    NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS

I can try and play with it. Deactivating NWLink-NetBIOS, activate NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS. But I'm not sure if there's a benefit of it.

Look'n'Stop is set correctly. I added rules (MAC address), so that the other computers can communicate with each other. Overall I think without NetBIOS enabled you can't communicate between the different computers. But unfortunately I don't understand all the technical stuff which is mentioned in most solutions in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

Somehow NetBIOS and Co. is tricky... :p

Regards!

Patrice

3. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Maybe a less technical explanation helps:

"NetBIOS -- What is it?

Without getting too technical, it's what lets you do file/printer sharing over the network on Windows-based machines.

NetBIOS name:

Each computer running Windows has a NetBIOS name; you can view/change it on the identification tab in Control Panel -> Network. Various services & client tools, including Network Neighborhood and NET USE, use NetBIOS names. The NetBIOS name is specified when Windows networking is installed/configured. In order to connect to a computer running TCP/IP via its NetBIOS name, the name must be resolved to an IP Address (the NetBIOS name-IP address resolution is often done by WINS - NetBIOS Name Server). A computer's NetBIOS name is often the same as that computer's host name (see below), but it doesn't have to be.

Host name:

A Windows machine's NetBIOS name is not to be confused with the computer's host name. Each computer running TCP/IP (whether it's a Windows machine or not) has a host name (also sometimes called a machine name). You can view/change it on the DNS tab in Control Panel -> Network -> TCP/IP -> Properties Host names are used by applications such as telnet, ftp, web browsers, etc. In order to connect to a computer running the TCP/IP protocol using its HOST name, the host name must be resolved into an IP Address (the host name or FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name)-IP address resolution is typically done by something called DNS - Domain Name System/Service). Changing a computer's Host name DOES NOT change its NetBIOS name."

Found that here: http://www.chemistry.ohio-state.edu/compsupp/Faqs/netbios.html

Regards,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.