NetBIOS

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Detox, Apr 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

So I see in the security section that it is recommended to close ports to NetBIOS.. what is NetBIOS and NetBIOS name and what can they be used to do against my computer? I constantly se NetBIOS name and NetBIOS session bouncing off of Zone Alarm, but just never knew what they were (err, still dont!) So I am very curious and would like to know before I delve into that manual about closing the possibility. I also want to be sure that it wouldn't hurt my constant online Roadrunner cable too :-/ Because it seems that the manual only says it won't hurt your DIALUP connection... Anyone  o_O

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Detox,

Did you already read this site from Steve Gibson:

http://grc.com/su-bondage.htm

It tells you a lot about NetBIOS, and gives you guidelines what to do.
    You wrote that you're using ZA; well, ZA closes these ports for you, but it definitely won't hurt to follow Steve's guidelines (better safe then sorry).
    The fact that you get alerts from ZA on these ports, tells you that ZA is doing his job!

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Ah good point hehe  :D abou ZA I mean.. I don;t ahve tiem to read that site now but I will tomorrow! I worry about it still some becuase I have to drop my firewall to host online games in Delta Force 2 and Operation Flashpoint, etc... I do a lot of that and I find with ZA not having the ability to open certain ports people ahve problems joining and such. Maybe I will try a different firewall that allows me to open certain ports.

4. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

But you can!  You can allow ports by application!

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Checkout,

As far as I know, you can only do that with ZAP, not with the free ZA.

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I think FANJ is right; for instance, I have given Delta Force 2 complete access and server rights. However, witht he firewall up if I put up a server for everyone to play in, nobody else can get in. It also blocks *some* people on Roger Wilco. They can hear me but I cannot hear them if I have ZA active.

7. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

I stand corrected.  Thanks.

8. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

So here I come with another one... Can anyone recommend a free for personal use firewall that would be as secure as ZA but that ZI could open only particular ports while it is up? With that option I could open the Roger Wilco and DF 2 ports and play knowing that everything else is closed instead of totally open like I do now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.