Net Framework not so rosy future?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by emmjay, Mar 3, 2014.

1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I remember reading a white paper (years back) on how Net Framework was considered a vast improvement over Java because it was designed following a good set of security related principles, whereas Java had not been so inclined. Sun Java has since been heavily criticized for its security flaws and many users have uninstalled it. The linked article concludes that Net Framework does not have a rosy future whereas of late I have seen NF popping up as a new prerequisite for some Windows apps. to run. I would not conclude that NF is a failure but it is a bloated behemoth.

from the linked article...
    "I could theorize about how Microsoft could extend .Net -- but why should it? .Net was about extending Windows. In a cloudy BYOD, tablet-oriented, Internet-standards-driven world, there may no longer be room for Microsoft, let alone .Net. The .Net initiative failed, and if you were part of it, I hope you hedged your bets by learning a few other tricks along the way."

http://www.infoworld.com/d/application-development/why-microsoft-net-failed-225817?page=0,1

2. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

"Let's start with marketing. Microsoft overextended the .Net brand and stamped it on everything. At one point Windows Server was going to have .Net emblazoned on it, which led many people to wonder what the heck .Net was supposed to mean anyway."

As an end user I had no idea what it was. Quite confusing as is typical of microsoft marketing.

3. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

4. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Same here Keatah. I just remember it showing up one day as an important update so I figured I better install it. Biggest mistake of my life.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.