Neo's Safekeys

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by TerryWood, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi All

I have seen a number of good comments in this and other Wilders forums about Safekeys.

I can get it to work on Firefox 3, even banking sites, BUT not with Opera 9.52 and I cannot figure out why not.

When I input the password to Safekeys then drag and drop to a text or password box in Opera I just get a black circle with a line through it.

Can anyone help me a) understand why it's not working in Opera b) set up opera so it will work.

I am on Win XP SP3 Opera 9.52

Thanks

Terry

2. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Hi Terry, may I ask what is stopping you from using it with Firefox?

3. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi TruthSeeker

I have always liked opera and prefer the combined browser mail client. That said it may well be that I remain with Firefox because of the lack of addons for Opera. The online banking cover is a big issue for me

Terry

4. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Personally, i think these anti keyloggers are a waste of time. If your computer is hosed, they can do a lot on your computer and taking snaps of your virtual keyboard, caputring clipboard, capturing data in the drag and drop is easy.

5. truthseeker

Terry, consider using a Ubuntu LiveCD when you want to do any netbanking. That way, you have no concerns about keyloggers, virus, spyware, trojans etc.

Ubuntu LiveCD comes with Firefox so you can simply login to your bank and not have any concerns and won't need things like Safekeys etc.

6. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Is this really true? If you use Ubuntu then you are immune to keyloggers etc...? If so then I want to try it. That sounds like the way to go.

7. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

It is not Ubuntu that is immune from keylogging, it is because you are using a clean OS. Because the liveCD has not been used before, it wont have any malware on it.

8. truthseeker

Yes it's true, because you are booting into the LiveCD environment.

You are immune to anyone changing your file system as it is on the cd.

But don't forget, anything is possible, and stay away from "dodgy" websites. I think a keylogger can still infect your RAM if you run a dodgy script. Yet I am not 100% certain about that if a keylogger can enter RAM by visiting a website. Maybe someone else knows for 100% sure?

If you just download the official LiveCD and don't visit dodgy sites (preferrably with NoScript if you are paranoid about Javascript) with Firefox, you'll be pretty safe. You can install things, eg. Firefox addons because when you use the LiveCD it will use Free RAM as your "Hard drive". Yet please be aware that once you reboot you lose anything you "installed".

And using a Ubuntu LiveCD is the safest way to do netbanking etc. Much more safer than using Windows.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.