Need your advice.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by vasummer, Apr 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasummer

vasummer Registered Member

I recently had my harddrive wiped and XP Home reinstalled. I came to the conclusion that I had more security on my old system then I needed. I now use Nortons Internet Security and Antivirus Suite, Spyware Blaster, Spybot, and Ad-Ware Personal SE.

I realize that many of you don't care for Norton, but I like it and it protects my pc on many levels. I'm hoping the others I listed above are covering the bases.

I use to subscribe to Spyware Dr., Counterspy, and Ewido, but each one requires a subscription. At one point I'm sure I was overdoing my security running NIS, Spyware Dr., and Counterspy all together at one time.

I like running a slimmer package of security software, but don't want to jeopardize my security. Am I forgetting any specific type of security software? BTW, I understand routers offer a certain amount of security. I use Verizon's router for broadband. Thanks for your suggestions.

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I would look at A-Squared,SUPERAntispyware,AVG AntiSpyware as free (scanner)replacements for Spybot and AdAware.

3. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Don't also forget a good HIPS/Behavioral Blocker like System Safety Monitor, Cyberhawk, even Prevx1. If your system stands up that well to the rigors of heavy-duty Norton's without much difficulty, then you should also have no problem adding some "extra" layer of security.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

1. Use also Opera or Firefox as browser, safer than MS Internet Explorer. (= freeware)
    2. Thunderbird as a placement for MS Outlook, which is also safer and don't open any spam-emails, just delete them. (= freeware)
    3. An Image Backup software is a MUST.
    4. Surf with brains, control your curiosity, don't download files from an unknown source.
    5. Keep Windows and security softwares UP-TO-DATE.
    6. You might consider Immediate System Recovery, but that is up to you.
    7. You might consider separation of data files from system files, but that is again up to you.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.