Need windows login and restrict access software like librearies use

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DarkPhoenix, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkPhoenix

DarkPhoenix Registered Member

Sorry if posted in wrong section.

I tried a google search but dont know what to search for. I want a windows xp/7 frontend or third party app that lets you log on to a guest account and is easily configurable - instead of setting tons of windows settings.

Like you see at a library. I need to be able to set up a new windows account and have someone log in to it with no chance they can access the regular user account.. then i need to be able to set access permissions for things they are alowed to access and deny things I dont want them to set up..

I suppose this is like child lock software but I need a free or open source app that has tons of options.

Thank you, I look forward to your replies.

Edit:

I did find some apps like 1st Security Agent and Deskman BUT these will not protect the account at windows startup - Thats what I really need. For windows XP and windows 7, there are many ways to circumvent the windows password so i need a better way to make sure this person does not access my account and can Only access their own guest account. This is why i need another frontend login solution. Please help.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  2. DarkPhoenix

DarkPhoenix Registered Member

No one answered but I did find a solution. Here it is in case it help anyone else.

It's a windows password replacement app called Rohos Logon Key. This works with one of your 256 mb or higher USB flash drives to set a password and a pin number and use it for windows log in. You can use this to replace having to type a password at logon, or in conjunction with a pin number you memorize (in case someone steals your flash drive)

There is also an app called Predator that lets you use a USB flash drive as a key for your PC. If the USB is in the slot, your PC stays on. Once the USB drive is removed, your computer gets locked up. Any attempts to access the system will show on a log once you put the drive back in to reactivate your system.

I have tried both apps together and they will work from the same USB flash drive And still let you use the drive for storage if you need to.

I feel between these two and the above apps like Deskman and 1st Security Agent I have greatly improved the security on my laptop from prying eyes of guests in my home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.