Need to update

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by dragoneer, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragoneer

dragoneer Registered Member

I'm currently using version 2.7 on a Windows XP Pro 32 bit machine. I'm still using 2.7 since none of the newer versions seem to provide a way to schedule scans when the computer is suspended (like in the middle of the night when I'm sleeping myself). When I last renewed my Eset license I was told that, staring this February, 2.7 would no longer be able to use virus definition updates. Therefore, I need to upgrade to a more modern version and I have the following questions that I hope forum participants can answer or point me to answers:

1. Is it true that February is still a drop dead date for 2.7? If so,

2. What version should I update to?

3. Can that version handle scheduled scans that need to break suspend mode? If not, any tricks that you know of? Scheduling when next wakened is sort of useless - I want scans when I'm not there.

4. Do I use the same user name/password that was given me for 2.7? If not, how do I contact ESET to get new ones? I didn't see contact option on ESET web pages.

5. In a few months I intend to build replacement machines using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit software and hardware. Will ESET function in that environment?

Thanks in advance for any help that you may provide.

-- Jeff Barnett

2. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

I will answer the questions I can.

2. You should update to version 5.0.95.0, the most current version.
    4. Your usename/password should work for all versions.
    Be sure to download the AV and not the suite if you are currently running the AV.
    5. Yes. I am currently running the AV in Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit.

3. dragoneer

Thanks for the helpful reply.

Does anyone know the answers to 1 and 3?
    -- Jeff Barnett

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

1. I'd suggest uprgrading to v. 4.2 or better to v5 as soon as possible regardless of when updates for v2 will be discontinued. V2 does not support the latest techniques for malware detection and thus can detect a small portion of threats recognized by v3/4/5.

3. It should be no problem as long as the oper. system is running. I, for one, am not aware of any major changes made to Scheduler since v2.

5. dragoneer

Macros,

Version 2 permitted one to invoke a the scanner using a bat file. That bat file could be scheduled, using the windows' scheduler. The windows' scheduler provides the ability to wake up the computer at the schedule time if you wish. I wished. No version since 2, to the best of my knowledge, has provided such flexibility. As you surely know, the ESET scheduler provides no such wake up capability. The closest capability is to run at the next available opportunity, i.e., when I start to use the computer. I WANT TO RUN THE SCAN WHEN I'M NOT USING THE COMPUTER. I've talked to ESET folks several times about this problem and asked in this forum in the past. I think this is the single biggest problem using ESET anti-virus. Or you could call it my pet peeve.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

ESET has always had a command line scanner. Ecls.exe has been there since v3.

7. dragoneer

Macros says " ESET has always had a command line scanner. Ecls.exe has been there since v3."

That's fascinating! Thanks. I talked to ESET a few times when they still provided an easy to find phone number on their web site and inquired in this forum. All said no such thing existed to the responders knowledge. In fact the bat I used/am using with version 2 was suggested by ESET and they specified the parameters for the scan; I think they sent it to me by email and the main exe was nod32. Where will I find documentation of Ecls.exe and its parameters?

I recall one other issue: whatever exe was available would not leave scan results in the log so there was no straightforward way to know that the scan had run and see what happened,

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  8. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

The ESET Command Line Scanner (filename: ECLS.EXE) has several options for logging. From the program's online help (accessed via /help at CLI):

/log-file=FILE — log output to FILE
    /log-rewrite — overwrite output file (default - append)
    /log-console — log output to console (default)
    /no-log-console — do not log output to console
    /log-all — also log clean files
    /no-log-all — do not log clean files (default)
    That should allow you to set up the batch file so you can see the results of the overnight scan.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.