Need to Restore INCREMENTALLY...in the worst way...!!!

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by mark4man, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark4man

mark4man Registered Member

man...!!!

I'm really screwed unless I can figure out the following:

I need to be able to break up a complete disc backup file (arc or PBF or whatever it's major format is)...into individual files & folders...& restore those individual files & folders to a clean re-installation of Windows XP Pro.

BECAUSE:

My PC was dying...I got a bug of some sort from the web that was wreaking all kinds of havoc, the final straw of which was an inabilty to shut down the computer from the Start > Shut Down applet...& then a series of bad blue screens & recoveries. so I figured it was time to rebuild everything.

1st...after I ran complete machine scans w/ AVG Anti-Virus & STOPZilla & killed everything bad...I created the paragon backup file of the entire drive, onto my external western digital hard drive...it was 50GB's in size. so far, so good.

then...I did a clean reinstall of windows (w/ the prior disc formatting).

then I figured I'd try & bring in restored files & folders onto my new windows install...but I couldn't figure out how to do that...which is where I need the help.

[sorry I made this so complex...but the problems sort of materialized that way. I even attempted...in my inexperience...to restore the entire backup file over the new OS...& THAT worked...but...for some reason, the paragon restored PC did not allow my mouse & keyboard to function. This additional trouble convinced me futher to go back to my basic idea of the clean reinstall & then adding back in various folders & files

but there's gotta be a way to do this...please help...!!!

thanks very much,

mark4man
    Paragon v 9.0

btw - I have lots of extra space on my drive AFTER a new windows install...so if it's possible to do a total paragon restore to say, a new folder on that drive, apart from everything...can that be done...to then simply move the various restored files & folders over to the new OS's folder heirarchy...??

also: on the above method...I now am obligated to go this route in order to use my mouse & keyboard

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Sure you can.

Use either the File Transfer Wizard from within the program , or the boot disc. Navigate to the backup archive, dble click the .pbf and keep expanding to see your files. Move them to the Paragon clipboard in the left pane, click NEXT. Then Browse to where you want to put them.

Another way is to run the Restore Wizard ( if you have a recent product ). Click "Switch to File View" Browse to the archive, click the + next to it expand it, tick all the folders you want to copy back, NEXT. They will be restored to your chosen location , inside a folder called e.g DiskC.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  3. mark4man

SIW2...

thanks much...but before I came back here ('cause...I had no internet)...all this happened:

[been a WEIRD ride, believe me]:

1) Performed clean re-install of XP Pro, w/ prior drive reformatting

2) After re-installing Paragon Drive backup...as mentioned...I couldn't figure out how to bring back individual files & folders from the full backup file on external HD...so...I restored the entire drive...(even tho it meant restoring a partially corrupted OS along w/ the process). I was also worried about never being able to access my personal files/folders again; & panicked

3) everything came back...except for my USB functionality...had no mouse/keyboard

4) plugged mouse into PS2 port w/ adapter...now I have mouse functionality

5) ran another full machine scan w/ AVG...& it found a trojan horse in my system32 folder...killed it

6) Now, the PC shuts off & restarts normally (so far...so good)

7) Deleted USB (nonfunctioning) drivers from device manager...rebooted.

[noparse]:cool:[/noparse] Now...hdwe. wizard runs & restores complete USB functionality...I now have keyboard...& acess to my external drive (better yet)

9) performed a full backup of all important files/folders to the external HD...copy & paste style (screw that compression sh_t...& not being able to view entire backup heirarchy)

so...one would thing my troubles are over...but I have the following in device manager:

http://www.moonjams.com/AMD.jpg

no way am I deleting drivers for the CPU...I very much want this thing to keep working (which it is now...seemingly ok...despite yellow exclamation warnings)

not sure what to do now...go to athlon & get drivers, I suppose...o_O

mf

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Does it give any more info when you rrt click on the cpu in device manager and select properties?

5. mark4man

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

6. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

mark4man,

You may want to run the P2P Adjust OS Wizard from the winPE recovery CD. This is usually used to reset hardware profiles for running an OS on different hardware, however since it will reset the hardware profile, it will probably fix the problems with your CPU drivers, and any other driver issues you are having. I also recommend re-installing all of your device drivers after running the wizard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.