Need to redo RAID config

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Margie2, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Margie2

Margie2 Registered Member

Hi,

Just bought True Image 10 for home. Built a system last year, primary hobby is video editing. Had 4 hard drives each pair of 2 setup in RAID 1 to mirror. Have since learned that RAID 1 is not good for video editing because it is way too slow.

Currently I want to back up my primary drive with OS and programs and data to an external HD so that I can restore all to "C" which would then be without any RAID setup. I want to have drives 1 and 2 with no RAID. Then I guess drives 3 and 4 with RAID 0.

Need a step by step of what to do, please. Am worried that the back up may also involve the RAID setup. Please, am trying to avoid a reinstall of OS and all the programs.....arrrrrrgh.

Thank you for your help,

Margie

2. blewis999

blewis999 Registered Member

Margie2

Raid 1 is not supposed to be all that slow. It should do overlaped reads which is faster then a single disk read and just a common write. That is unless you have a bottleneck in your controller. Check here for an explanation.
    http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid5_gci214332,00.html

You will have to break the raid array and rebuild it if you change raid configurations. You did not say what raid controller you are using.

Regards

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

RAID 1 shouldn't be noticably slower. In fact, on my Abit mobo with an Intel chipset, when the BIOS is set for RAID and a RAID 1 array is set up, the associated drives actually perform faster (very slightly but measurably) than when not using the RAID driver. If RAID is slowing down your drives noticably, it's likely that the particular RAID drivers for your chipset are at fault, not RAID in general.

sh

4. Margie2

Margie2 Registered Member

Thank you for both of your responses. Have spent this am trying to fill out a request for tech support of the NLE ( non linear editing software) that I use for video editing.

It would be absolutely wonderful if I didn't have to worry about redoing my raid setup. Thought I would rather poke my eye than do that, but would rather not do that either.:)

Followed the link to explanation of Raid, printed it out to study.

The raid I have is 1 and it is off of the mobo which is an Asus Crosshair for an AMD AM2 chip. It works, the bad things have happened with the video editing. I have no raid card, it's all off the mobo. Use the mobo sound card also. There are 4 internal SATA Segate 320G HDs set in pairs so only effective 2 HDs.

Broke blower in car so must run to mechanic now. Hope this gives you more info for more opinions.

Thanks,
    Margie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.