Need to deal with a tonne of malware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by noblelord, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noblelord

noblelord Registered Member

Ok, so, I am in need of other people's thinking here. My problem is thus :- my company has a project office in Nigeria, and one of my colleagues has brought home an external HDD with copies of all their data (mostly word files I believe, but god knows what other crap could be lurking). He apparently believes it will be full of viruses and I'm inclined to agree - the office it comes from is a shambles. Now, I don't have to hand a spare laptop with a Linux distro installed, so I'm wondering what the best way of examining and possibly cleaning any data is whilst keeping a copy of it? Say I boot XYZ linux distro via a live CD and then plug in the external HDD - I can easily examine the data, but how should I deal with the files themselves? I was thinking I could use a linux live CD to copy the files to a directory in my Windows install and then encrypt said directory, load up a virtual machine, decrypt the files in the VM and scan them for malware that way? Anyone got a killer idea? Cheers all.

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

3. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

USB vaccination and multiple scanners?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.