Need to Clone HDD & Keep it updating it. Will any Paragon program do it ?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by kevincc4, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevincc4

kevincc4 Registered Member

Hi,

I want to clone my HDD & then keep updating it during the day.

I hate drive image programs.

Will any paragon program do it ?

I tied paragon drive copy but after cloning it, it does not update the new data during the day.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello kevincc4,

By updating, do you mean incremental/differential backups throughout the day? Or synchronously having both hard drives exactly the same at all times.

Paragon Drive Backup and Hard Disk Manager will let you backup an entire hard drive as an archive, and schedule differentials to update the current backup. The backups can be scheduled to run in the intervals that you need it to. Also as you've already performed, Drive Copy will do a one time disk cloning. If you need it to clone the same hard drive multiple times through the day or nightly, you can schedule the Drive Copy task regularly at a specific time.

This all of course depends on which route of protection you need.

1. Do you need a level of system protection that your system won't go down, increased performance, and internally managed by hardware/software automatically? Having a RAID setup (Raid 1 - mirrored) will always have two hard drives synchronized and in case one fails, the system continues to operate with one working hard drive till the second one is replaced.

2. Do you need a level of system protection that in case of a virus attack or accidental deletion, you have a good archive you can refer back to? Backup archives are great when you need to go back to a known good copy, or be able to store the data at a different location.

Of course there are disadvantages to both.

1. Raid is vulnerable to power outage, floods, fires, because both hard drives at the same location; virus infecting both hard drives, and no good data is available to go back to. Also if you deleted something, it's immediately deleted on both hard drives.

2. Backup archives are not up to date with the current state of the system. You have to perform backups nightly, weekly, monthly etc.

The best solution for system protection is to have both, but if you're not too demanding for the latest and greatest, backup archives should be your first step. Perform daily, weekly, or monthly backups, so in case your hard drive crash, you have something to restore from.

-Tommy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.