Need suggestion regarding Free AV+Firewall

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by src2206, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

instead of running free software why don't you run some of the trials of the better regarded ones?most come with a 30day period after that trial another pair for 30days,if your looking after the PC an uninstall and install once per month for next few months is no big deal!!??

2. zen_usuario

zen_usuario Registered Member

For free AV/FW combo, my suggestion is Rising Internet Security free 2009 if you like some easy and friendly, with a a good "trusted applications database" with "all" points covered (e-mail, web and scripts included) plus a router for inbound connections.

3. gery

gery Registered Member

RIS is not free

4. zen_usuario

5. gery

gery Registered Member

6. zen_usuario

I'm using it and not shows an expiry date & nags, updates frequently & normally.
    RISING free versions are free, but when a newer version becomes (2008>2009) for maintaining free use with the last you must to uninstall the earlier and install after the newer free version. This can success every 1 year. Updating (without uninstalling before 2008free) the 2008 free to 2009 provides a trial (30 days) 2009 vers.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  7. src2206

src2206 Registered Member

Hello

Sorry, I have been absent for feqw days, but here is the update:

I went for AVAST!+PCTools FW combo. Its a nice little tool, but problems cameout of the blue and XP just will not boot one day.
    So had to reformat the PC again, removed PCTolls and tested Comodo Internet Security this time. For last two days, it seems to be running fine and one thing I would like to confirm that the overall memory consumption of CIS is less than the total of AVAST!+PCTools FW and also less than PCTools FW individually.
    Lets see how CIS works out :)

BTW, instaling a important component of my system once a month is not an option :)

8. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

So were those the only security applications, or had you also kept Winpatrol and S&D w/TeaTimer when these problems occurred?
    If the former, very unusual.

9. src2206

Hi Tarq57

As far as I can remember TeaTimer was running alright, but let me tell you that i have been personally this little program which protects my registry keys commendably, and it never created any problem. :)
    Regarding Winpatrol sorry I am not sure, Its such a non interfering and silent program that you just tend to forget that it is still there

10. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I'm not suggesting that there is anything wrong with Teatimer, nor Winpatrol. They are both useful programs, and popular for a reason.
    What I'm suggesting is that the interaction between all of them may have caused a problem.

11. src2206

Hmmmm...may be I am not really sure. in my sister's PC I have been running Comodo FW+Avast Home+TT+WP, and there has never been a problem. So based on that experience I decided the combination of Comodo IS and others. Though honestly I am not sure how useful the AV component of Comodo is. :|

12. progress

progress Guest

I read this thread and it seems that the standard settings are not "good enough" :rolleyes: Further I have to turn off ESV because of blue screens and so on ...

So which one is the "easiest" FW with acceptable standard settings? I think this is ZA Free? :blink:

13. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

For newbies, I recommend:
    Avira AV + PCTools Firewall

Easy as pie :D :thumb:

For more advanced users, I recommend:
    COMODO Internet Security :thumb: :thumb:

The ONLY all-in-one suite that comes absolutely FREE!! :argh:
    Powerful firewall w/ powerful HIPS :thumb:
    Looking forward for the BOClean integration and improved engine for their AV.

Or you can use any of the Big Three A's (Avira, avast!, AVG) coupled with Online-Armor Firewall.
    A very nice combo :thumb:

14. gery

gery Registered Member

I have found the combo
    ZA free
    Avira free
    SAS free
    very effective and light.I am impressed with ZA and remember the Avira soon will include antispyware and self protection i guess an unbeatable combo so far.

15. progress

progress Guest

Thank you for your recommendations, I'm considering AVG 8.5 Free (because of full LinkScanner) + ZA Free ;)

But maybe I'll also try Comodo Internet Security!

16. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi :)

Just to remind people...

Re : PC Tools Firewall Plus

For anyone with - PC Tools Firewall Plus
    I you are experiencing any of the following problems...
    Blue Screens, Freezes, CPU Spikes, Manic hard drive activity - Or any other problems while using this Firewall.

Please Turn... Enhance Security Verification - OFF

Open ... PC Tools Firewall Plus
    Click On - Settings
    Click On - Filtering Tab
    Un-Tick - Enable Enhanced Security Verification
    Click On - Apply

I've got PC Tools Firewall Plus on both my Laptop and Desktop Computer ... But with.. ESV - OFF

Why?

Coz...
    Starting Since Version 4 ... PC Tools Firewall Plus .. Now Comes With - Enhanced Security Verification ( ESV )
    ESV .. Is a relatively new feature that PC Tools have added to their Firewall ... But It Has Problems :rolleyes:
    Can Cause.. High CPU Spikes, Manic Hard Drive, Freezes, Blue Screens :argh:
    So!
    Even though - PC Tools Firewall Plus .. Is a great little Firewall :D
    Enhanced Security Verification .. Is Best Left - OFF .. Till they get it right!
    ;)

Just remember to turn ESV - OFF .. And you should have No Problems at all :thumb:

17. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi ance :)

ESV is really easy to turn - OFF ( See instructions in my post above )

I've never tried ZA :doubt:
    Coz..
    It's always sounded too complicated for me :(

Apart from the Firewall that you get with NIS 09 , N360 , etc.
    I think PC Tools Firewall Plus is about as easy as two way Firewalls come ;)
    If I couldn't have PC Tools Firewall Plus...
    I'd probably have to just use the Windows Firewall :'(

Coz.. I'm A Firewall Thicko :oops:

18. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

It's just as easy to setup as NIS's Firewall.
    But I think overall it's a better firewall than NIS's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.