need suggestion in anti-spyware and trying an virtualizatio hips.

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by vhick, Jan 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vhick

vhick Registered Member

my current setup is

comodo personal firewall
    nod32
    cyberhawk
    spywareblaster
    spywareguard

after some readings in anti-spyware (on-demand) avg anti-spyware free looks good but when i try it i have some problem when updating. all of the sudden it stop and when i look to the status, my update status is "never" i run update again and it update again a few files. but again my update status is never. im on dialup so a waste of time. i find a alternative a i see superantispyware free. looks good and i can download the update files manually on their site.

my question is is this enough for my setup or i need at least 2 anti-spyware (on-demand). what will you recommend?

and also i want to try virtualization hips. what will you recommend? and if i use a virtualization hips, you think this is enough for my setup or i will remove one security app/s on my setup. and is there a confict between my current setup e.g. antivirus, firewall, etc. please help me decide...

thank yiou very much!;)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

You may want to check your Comodo firewall to make sure you didn't block AVG from accessing the internet. As far as free on-demand scanners, you really cannot go wrong with SuperAntiSpyware. It is a fantastic free program. But you should probably have more than one scanner. And a combo of SuperAntiSpyware and AVG AS would be hard to beat. Just be sure and disable the guard.exe after your 30 day trial of AVG AS. Otherwise it just keeps running in the background taking up resources while not providing any protection.

If the problem with AVG AS is not because of your firewall then maybe just try to uninstall AVG and re-download it from their site and try things again.

Otherwise you may want to try A-squared which is pretty good-

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

Or wait a few days and try the new version of Ad-Aware when it is released. It is supposed to be a significant upgrade over their current product.

3. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

You want great spyware protection consider either Spyware Dr. from PCtools.com or SpySweeper from webroot.com Both these products are for $$$ They cost but the protection is real and the update religiously daily. I strongly recommend Spyware Dr. to my entire client base... You only need one! get rid of the others they are waisting more resources than solve anything.

As for Antivirus Nod32 is still top for me. works, small footprint, simple... A real winer!

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

For free on-demand scanners I use SUPERAntispyware and A-Squared.
    Updates are regular they have been stable here.

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I had a lot of luck with Spy Sweeper. It is really a great program. But I did not like the upgrade to 5.2 although maybe sophos AV could be pretty good. I run NOD32 and had no use for it, though. But anyway, I saw an online sale of Spy Sweeper that had a mail in rebate so the final cost is $0.00 except for shipping of around $6.00 or so. The sale is good until Tuesday and the rebate must be mailed in within 30 days after that. Link is below-

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4462976

6. vhick

vhick Registered Member

thank you very much for your suggestion.

but how about virtualization hips (geswall, bufferzone, etc.), i really need or my current setup is enough?

thanks again!;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.