Need Some Help!

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by luv2bsecure, Mar 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Hi all: I am helping a friend who is trying to configure a secure file delete with the Gutmann method to do some of the cleaning up that Window Washer, IEClean and some others do. However, he doesn't know what all to wipe! I have told him the following, none of this by the way includes registry wipes only what can be wiped with a path address,

C:\windows\applog
    C:\windows\cookies
    C:\windows\downloaded program files
    C:\windows\temporary internet files (and IE sub)
    C:\windows\recent
    C:\windows\sysbckup
    C:\windows\temp
    C:\windows\history

along with several other .ini files from specific programs he is using.

Have I missed anything? He wants to be able to throw the whole enchilada at the files with the Gutmann instead of just a 7 or 10 pass wipe. At first I thought he was being paranoid, but he is right about one thing, after the wipe it would also get the slack and cluster tips. maybe not such a bad idea. I just can't think of anything else and I know a lot of you deal with this kind of thing often by evaluating software, etc.

Haven't been around much. I caught Tracy's whatever she had and have felt pretty miserable for 3 days or so. It's no wonder, this has been the craziest Winter. It's been becoming more this way over the last several years. Usually it's May Gray and June Gloom and ten months of sunshine. Not lately. I've asked what I needed to ask, so feel free to close me down. If you're interested in this odd weather for Southern California though, check this out, here's the forecast through Monday:

Tonight
    Mostly cloudy with rain likely changing to showers overnight. Lows 45 to 55. Chance of measurable rain...60 percent.

Thursday
    Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers...especially during the afternoon. Highs 58 to 64. Chance of measurable rain...50 percent.  

Thursday Night
    Showers likely. Lows 45 to 55. Chance of measurable rain...60 percent.  

Friday
    Mostly cloudy during the morning with a slight chance of showers becoming partly cloudy during the afternoon. Highs 59 to 66. Chance of measurable rain...20 percent.  

Friday Night and Saturday
    Partly cloudy. Lows 42 to 52. Highs in the 60s.  

Sunday
    Increasing clouds with a chance of showers late. Lows 45 to 52. Highs 57 to 67.  

Monday
    Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers. Lows 45 to 52. Highs 57 to 67.  

Mind you, this is SAN DIEGO! In November we had three straight weeks of this. They had a guy from UCSD in La Jolla on TV saying that global warming actually will bring San Diego cooler temperatures and cloudier days, while the rest of the country warms up. I don't understand it all but thought some of you might find it interesting.

Thanks for your help, by the way, I appreciate it!

John

2. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

I have a hard time feeling sorry for you down in San Diego. So now you finally get some weather like the rest of have lived with all our lives!

3. luv2bsecure

Oh, no, no! I didn't mention our weather as a complaint. I rather like it in fact. I mentioned it because of the weird pattern and it being an indicator of climate changes on the planet. Just conversation really. I find it fascinating. It would be like you up in Canada all of the sudden having nothing but sunshine and 70 degree weather, that's all. I really wasn't complaining. It's just different. Did you have any thoughts on other files to wipe? I'm at a loss and I know there has to be others!

Happy In San Diego Rain or Sun,
    John

4. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

Tell him to check these out.
    http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/cleansweep.html

http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/comdlg32.html

5. luv2bsecure

He doesn't have to tell me -- YOU just did!! Thank you, Mike! That's just what I was looking for! I knew I was missing some and the printer spool was important :rolleyes:

Thanks for the links. I appreciate the help!  :)

John

6. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.