need some advice on current good antimalware softwares?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by imdb, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Here's the best advice you can get - fix the error. Unsolvable? Restore the image. Don't have one? Reinstall the OS then make one and learn a lesson.
    To elaborate, you are piling up security software on a flawed system, whereas you should be fixing the system. Because, if you get this runtime error with MBAM how do you know you won't get it with some other software? Not to mention that this error could indicate a conflict which again could render your security ineffective.

2. fax

fax Registered Member

:thumb: +1

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I didn't mention Emsisoft's own engine since I read it like the OP already knew about their own in-house developed engine.

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

You're welcome. Yes indeed there are many vendors to choose from. And it's a good list to know about if you ever wonder what engine a particular AV use. :D

6. imdb

imdb Registered Member

oh yeah? if it's me piling up a security software on a flawed system and it's just me NOT FIXING A SOLVABLE ERROR, then could you explain us what this is all about:
    TAKEN FROM AN OFFICIAL FAQ at forums.malwarebytes.org FAQ SECTION A, ARTICLE 15

here is the link to the original post on official mbam forum:
    http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138

AND JUST GOOGLE "mbam runtime error" AND YOU'LL SEE IF IT'S JUST ME GETTING THIS ERROR BECAUSE OF MY FLAWED SYSTEM or THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE TOO HAVING THE SAME ISSUE?

or just search it on mbam's own forums.

then get back here and accuse me of blaming a software because of not fixing an error which YOU ASSUME is solvable.

Besides, why would i have to reinstall my os or restore a backup image just because i get this runtime error for one software and have no issues with any other software and while there are other people too having this very same issue?

I ALREADY SAID THAT I TRIED EVERY SINGLE THING THAT HAS BEEN RECOMMENDED BOTH ON MBAM'S OWN FORUMS AND ON OTHER MANY SECURITY SITES ON THE NET BUT NO AVAIL. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  7. imdb

imdb Registered Member

also i'd like to indicate that i have no problems with mbam and i find it very good and effective, AND I ALREADY MENTIONED THAT IN MY PREVIOUS POST, SEE MY FIRST POST WHICH STARTED THIS THREAD:

8. Seer

Seer Registered Member

It's a simple solution (reregister the libraries) that worked in many cases... I suppose, otherwise they wouldn't be posting it. The fact that it didn't work in your case suggests that you have a deeper problem than missing/unregistered VB modules.

Please don't send me on google. If I google then I will find issues with almost anything under the sky, including every piece of software ever made.

I do not assume anything, I know the problem is solvable. When your deal with an object (a PC with software on it in this case) that operates according to exact set of instructions then solving any problem depends on finding the correct set of instructions. Which in turn depends on knowledge and knowledge alone. Only when you introduce independent decision making in the equation (turning effectively object into subject) you encounter unsolvable mysteries.
    YOU OTH are assuming the error is unsolvable because YOU weren't able to fix it. It's an ego thing as it is easier to call for deus ex machina then to admit defeat.

The problem with various suggestions online is that they always assume a certain state of the system. They can never really know how hard you have hosed your particular system down doing various tweaking/optimizing/etc. They also assume the user is able to correctly apply the suggestions (running with elevated privileges etc.). So if they don't work, it's usually because they assumed too much.

I don't know how good your image is, but I do know (to a 100% certainity) that the error will vanish on a reinstalled OS.

I'm not saying your system is the only one that is flawed.

9. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

You should try uninstalling MBAM, then downloading the latest version and install that. It should fix your problem.

10. roger_m

All errors are solvable (within reason). In this case more than likely an uninstall and reinstall of MBAM will fix the problem, and in my opinion is a much better option that doing a OS reinstall - much quicker and not data abd settings will be lost.

Most runtime errors with MBAM only affect MBAM. In the case of other errors it is much better in my opinion to deal when them when and if they arrise (which shouldn't happen in this case).

I regard doing a clean install as an absolute last resort.

11. Seer

Seer Registered Member

I hope you are right regarding reinstall. I guess I was just trying to say "if you don't know any better then reinstall the OS, just fix the damn error already".

In theory yes. In practice, that would depend on the level of knowledge of the person fixing the error.

It is the resort we turn to when the situation is over the top of our heads. OTH, turning a blind eye and declaring a mystery is NOT a resort of any kind. Because, it is always when we declare a mystery that it turns out later that it was just a way to express our apology for the lack of knowledge.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  12. imdb

imdb Registered Member

when you end up starting from scratch, it means you failed to SOLVE the issue, just because solving an issue ALWAYS REQUIRES the same conditions that exist when you have the issue, not new and/or ideal conditions you just create when you choose to go from the scratch.
    that's rule #1 in the book of problem solving.
    anyways, have a nice day, seer bud.

13. roger_m

Doing an uninstall and reinstall has worked for me in the past.

True. I am very experienced at diagnosing and fixing computer problems, and there are many problems I have fixed which the majority of PC users would not be able to fix, so I do get the point about doing a clean install. Just for someone like me I hate doing clean installs. This means I keep all my installed software and settings and often increase my computer knowledge along the way. This may not always be the approach as once I had a problem with Windows installer which took weeks for me to find the solution to. In the mean time I could not install any software which used Windows installer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.