need recover help

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rcbmrb, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcbmrb

rcbmrb Registered Member

I restored ok but in the process for lack of understanding I turned a 320gb drive into a 26.7gb drive 271gb unallocated. I'm told now I have to reformat and reinstall all the data so much for having good backup software when you need to be a software engineer.

Anyway is there a way to backup data progs and reformate then restore?
    Edit/Delete Message

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

If you're saying that the restored drive is showing the size of the original drive, it is a very common problem. One easy way to regain the space is to use the Secure Zone Trick. A search of the forum should bring up the method.

3. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

5. rcbmrb

rcbmrb Registered Member

No twhen restoring my 320gb became a 26.7 c drive 271gb unallocated Dell turned the 271 into another drive like a usb but I'd rather havethe full 320 back. I'll look for the SZ trick but really more interested in how I turned my 320 to a 26.7 then I might try again so I don't have to reload progs

6. rcbmrb

rcbmrb Registered Member

I downloaded this guide as well as others I physically can't unhook drives but only have large hd.

I considered doing another restore after reformat but have no idea what I did wrong first time perhaps if my six questions were answeredd before however as I feared I now have a big problem. Backup software is very complex I understand some but my level is admittedly low.

7. GroverH

Where are your TrueImage archives located? Are these backups stored on an external drive?

8. rcbmrb

rcbmrb Registered Member

One other thing I called dell who turned the unallocated space innto drive i will this complicate a secure zone trick?

9. rcbmrb

rcbmrb Registered Member

on a usb drive

10. GroverH

Is your backup a "disk" type backup which includes any hidden or diagnostick partitions?

11. rcbmrb

rcbmrb Registered Member

not sure what you mean there are tib's numbered in sequence is there a way to tell so i can better answer you? I did my computer backup no errors does it now make a difference that the unallocated space is now a drive re using the sz trick?

12. GroverH

That depends. Your post #5 implies that you now have an additional formatted drive of 271 gb and this shows up as drive x (?) when viewed in Windows explorer. If true, then the secure zone trick will not totally help you. The secure zone trick will allow you to allocate as much space as you wish to C drive but you will still may have a very small 2nd drive. You certainly can perform this option and see if the results are acceptable. Perhaps someone more familiar with the secure zone can offer some other alternatives as to leaving some space un-allocated instead of an unwanted 2nd partition.

If you want to have all the space allocated to Drive C without a second partition, then you will have to use a different method which we can discuss. The info below is a first step in that discussion. If the Secure Zone trick is acceptable, then you do NOT need to proceed with any of the info below.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    This implies a new backup. Do you still have your backup of your original disk which was used to cause your grief?
    Can you post an attachment showing use some information from your backup? For this screen capture, we will have to open TI within Windows--assuming you have TI installed.

Open TI (within Windows) and simulate performing a restore. The 4th or 5th Screen will be a screen titled "Archive Selection". This is where you select the specific backup archive file to be restored. Select the specific backup file, the screen will change to display your partition sequence. It is a capture of that screen of which I have an interest. My sample picture below will illustrate the type picture I am asking for. What I am looking for is whether there are more than one partiton and if yes, what are their sequence. You have a Dell machine and I am not sure of how your original drive was partitioned. The screen capture of your backup screen may help us to understand. Once you perform the screen capture, you can cancel the simulated backup.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: I am not asking you to do this right now but it is what I will be suggesting (but in greater detail) if you decide to go forward with this procedure.

My ultimate intentions are to have you
    1. delete all partitions on your new 320 drive as demonstrated via the link below. (This task would best be performed with the external usb drive NOT attached so it would be safe from any confusion.)

How To Delete Disk Partitions Using TrueImage Home
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=213446

2. Boot from the Acronis True Image Rescue CD
    Restore your original backup (from screen capture) using the Partition Restore with Resize procedures.
    Once we see the screen capture, then we can see what specific steps might be needed during resize.

3. Important note: if you utilize these procedures, your use of the 320 will depend upon a successful conclusion of the restore. If problems occur, a second attempt may be necessary.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Sample Archive Selection Image
    Note in this example below, the first partition is a small size recovery or boot partition.
    archive-selection1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  13. shieber

shieber Registered Member

14. rcbmrb

rcbmrb Registered Member

This implies a new backup. Do you still have your backup of your original disk which was used to cause your grief?

==============
    yes I have the tib I think when a screen I didn't understand asked for space to allocate not knowing I accepted the given 26.7

will now read up on attaching & be back

15. rcbmrb

rcbmrb Registered Member

here is screen you wanted

what I want is what I had 1 320 gb drive 1 partition it was TI during restore that reformated my c from 320 to 26.7gb, and of course learn the screens in retore process so as to avoid all this again. TI works well if you understand it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  16. rcbmrb

rcbmrb Registered Member

Grover

If you want to have all the space allocated to Drive C without a second partition, then you will have to use a different method which we can discuss. The info below is a first step in that discussion. If the Secure Zone trick is acceptable, then you do NOT need to proceed with any of the info below.
    -----------

yes this, everything to c, is what I want

17. GroverH

Ok. I will get back to you later tonight or tomorrow with some specific screen shots.

18. GroverH

Here are the instructions on how to use Partition Restore with Resize to restoe a single partition archive to a larger unallocated disk. This will allocate the entire disk to a single partition. Original disk was a smaller disk with one partition.

PDF written based on these premises:
    Restoring a one partition disk image backup from a 26.7 GB drive to a 320 gb unallocated drive.

a. Old original smaller drive has been removed and is not attached.
    b. New 320 GB drive has been attached in boot position replacing the old drive.
    c. New 320 GB drive is blank or unallocated. Any previous partitions have been deleted.4. Archive image is stored on a USB Passport drive.
    d. The computer has been booted using the TrueImage Rescue CD.
    e. After TrueImage has indicated successful of restore. Remove the USB drive and reboot the computer. Old original drive is still not-attached for first bootup following restore.​

-----------------------------------------------------
    1. Download this special pdf file created just for your situation.
    Follow the illustrations. There is no written instructions provided in this pdf--just illustrations. It should provide just the help you need to succeed. Should you want more generalized details, you can get those from my the pdf listed on the 3rd line of my signature--but I do not believe you will need them. Use the one made just for your situation.​
    Restoring a One Partition Archive to a larger 320GB disk.
    http://grover.tabinc.com/gh-temp/rcbmrb-partition_resize_restore.pdf

2. Delete all partitions on your new 320 drive as demonstrated via the link below. (This task would best be performed with the exteral usb drive NOT attached so it would be safe from any confusion.
    3. Attach the USB drive and reboot using the True Imaage Rescue CD.

4. Perform the restore based on the illustations provided by the PDF.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Upon the successful conclusion of this operation, please assign a name to your new drive to avoid confusion in the future use of the Rescue CD. Info on how is listed on the last line of my signature.

19. rcbmrb

rcbmrb Registered Member

Grover,

I can't express my gratitude enough for the effort you made on my behalf. I have only a few questions when you say

1. Old original smaller drive has been removed and is not attached.

you mean the usb drive yes?

2. New 320 GB drive has been attached in boot position replacing the old drive.

can you elaborate there is no new 320gb drive other than that which Dell installed that prompted the restore

3. New 320 GB drive is blank or unallocated. Any previous partitions have been deleted.

the only 320gb drive now is drive c 26.7 and drive I 271gb with no os this was 271 unallocated after restore and before Dell made it drive I

Very sorry to be redundant but want to fully understand before I go ahead your pdf has helped greatly

20. GroverH

Perhaps the confusion is mine. In your first posting, you wrote "I turned a 320gb drive into a 26.7gb drive 271gb unallocated". I took that to mean a new disk had been introduced. If you were referring to your old existing 320 GB drive, then the confusion is definitely mine.

Assuming now that you only have two disks. Your original 320gb internal plus an external Passbook containing your backup archives.

The premises "a-e" above can be ignored and would be revised as below:

------------------------------------------------------------

PEF written based on these premises:
    Restoring a one partition disk image backup (26.7 GB drive) to a 320 gb unallocated drive.

a. Your 320 GB drive is attached in boot position.
    b. Your 320 GB drive will have all partitions deleted and the drive will be entirely unallocated via step 2 below.
    c. Archive image is stored on a an attached USB Passport drive.
    d. The restore will occur when the computer has been booted using the TrueImage Rescue CD.
    e. After TrueImage has indicated successful of restore. Remove the USB drive and reboot the computer.

-----------------------------------------------------
    TrueImage Home "Partition Restore with Resize Intructions for RCBMRB

1. Download this special pdf file created just for your situation. (You might want to print this pdf. It is just a few pages.)
    Follow the illustrations. There is no written instructions provided in this pdf--just illustrations. It should provide just the help you need to succeed. Should you want more generalized details, you can get those from my the pdf listed on the 3rd line of my signature--but I do not believe you will need them. Use the one made just for your situation.
    PDF= Restoring a One Partition Archive to a larger 320GB disk.
    http://grover.tabinc.com/gh-temp/rcbmrb-partition_resize_restore.pdf
    2. Delete all partitions on your 320 drive as demonstrated via the link below. (This task would best be performed with the external usb drive NOT attached so it would be protected from any confusion.
    3. Power up and attach the USB Passport drive and reboot again using the True Image Rescue CD.

4. Perform the restore (when booted from the CD) based on the illustrations provided by the special PDF written for rgbmrb. If desired, perform a couple simulations or trial runs before clicking the proceed button for implementation of your choices.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Upon the successful conclusion of this operation, please assign a name to your system drive (Drive C) to avoid confusion in the future use of the Rescue CD. Info on how is listed on the last line of my signature. You want your volume name to contain some more than its drive letter. It could be something like "XP320-C" or "XP-C" or "System-C". Include the drive letter but have the name mean something identifiable should there be confusion identifying which drive is which. Drive letters can be confusing. Unique names are less likely to be mis-read.

21. rcbmrb

rcbmrb Registered Member

yes I meant 1 hd 320 that was during the restore formatted into 26.7 and 271gb all same drive. one of the screens you presented in your pdf tells me what I did wrongI accepted the 26.7 number.

Will this affect anything?

22. GroverH

Do not understand what you are asking. Can you be more explicit. My pdf made for you shows you how to overcome your original mistake. The pdf instructions wipes out all your existing data on the 26.7 size partition and restores your old data from your backup to the same 320 disk but resized to a 320 single partition.

Do you ever recall you Dell machine having a recovery or media drive?

If you use Notepad and open the file c:\boot.ini, can you post its contents here.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  23. GroverH

rcbmrb,

Hold up on the implementation of my instructions listed in post #20.

I will supply you with new instructions which might be easier to implement.

Hopefully, I can post these later this eveing.

I am still interested in your comments via post 22.

24. GroverH

rcbmrb,

As I understand your current situation, you have one internal disk which is a 320GB IDE disk. The C partion is 26.72 GB and the remaining 271.28 GB space is current Drive I with no data content or otherwise empty.

Please open your Windows Disk Management function. Based on your data, I am expecting your 320 GB drive to appear as the sample below. If the partition layout matches, you can proceed with these instructions.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    del-part1.png
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A new revised pdf (link below) for your specific situation has been prepared. Please download the revision and printing is recommended. I believe this will be easier for you to implement than what I had previously suggested in post #20.

http://grover.tabinc.com/gh-temp/rcbmrb-pdf-rev2.pdf

Our first step below will be to undo the partiton created by Dell tech support. We want to get back to where the partiton had 271 GB of unallocated space.

1. Disconnect your USB drive and startup your Windows system.
    2. Access your Windows Disk Management feature to display your 320GB disk.
    It is expected to show both partitions as illustrated above.
    (Be careful to click on the correct partition. When mouse selected, the space inside the partiton should turn to diagional lines and the drive I name should be hightlighted in the menu.)​
    a. Right click on the 271GB partition which is labeled "Drive I (New volune).
    b. Choose the delete option and click yes (when prompted) to confirm the deletion. This is illustrated in the pdf.

3. After partition deletion, it should match what is displayed in the bottom of figure 1 in the pdf.

------------------
    Now that the partition displays as 271 GB of unallocated space, we can proceed to perform the restore with resize.

4. Attach the USB drive and reboot the computer using the TrueImage Home Rescue CD.

5. Perform the restore with resize as illustrated by the your revised pdf.

6. Reboot. You should have your objective of a one partition disk with all space assigned to Drive C.

7. Don't forget to assign a unique name to your system drive. Having a blank name is an accident waiting to happen.

25. rcbmrb

rcbmrb Registered Member

Grover,

my ? asked if the new info about about haaving 1 320hd only would affect your first instructions in msg #18 but you hav.e I see revised your instructions

found these not openable by notepad
    boot.ini comodofirewall c:/
    boot.inibackup C:/windows/pss

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.