Need Recommendation For Spyware Software

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Limoman, Oct 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Limoman

Limoman Registered Member

I know we're on Wilders Security Forum and can certainly appreciate any allegiance to their software, but with that said....can anyone recommend the "best" software to protect from spyware/adware?

I'm currently running a variety of programs:
    Spyware Guard
    AdAware
    SpyBot Search and Destroy
    SpyHunter
    No Adware
    CWShredder

Is there a definitive software program or programs that is considered the most effective?

Thanks for the help.

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi Limoman. :)

Welcome to Wilders.

Since u are not specifically asking about Javacool products(this is the SpywareBlaster and other forum), i will move this thread to the Privacy Software forum for better attention. ;)

snowbound

Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  3. Limoman

Limoman Registered Member

Thank you. Sorry about that.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I also use
    a2
    spywareblaster
    processguard
    mozilla firefox
    winpatrol

bigc

5. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

U should also take a look at this,

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

NoAdware and Spyhunter are on the rogue list, although it looks like Spyhunter might be legit now.....

snowbound

6. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I believe in Spyblocker and spywarestopper

7. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

CWshredder solves only the "CoolWeb" problem
    I'd list out:

Spybot SD
    AdAware SE
    Giant AntiSpyware (wilders did have a thread on it)
    Webroot SpySweeper (give it a shot, its nice)
    Spyare Blaster/Spyare Guard (JavaCool software)
    a2 free - only on demand scan
    a2 personal - on demand, on access scans, IDS/Fireall in built
    (Don't know much about a2, but a2 free picked up a trojan before Norton AV did, based on generic behaviour rather than signature files)

8. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

I notice that in the last tests by E Howes the above two products were not included . I wonder how they would fair?. Spyware blocker is thought to be up there with the best as prevention . They both come with the option of life time licences also which is a very good deal in the long term . Especially as the life time licences are about the same cost as a year of pest patrol or giant .

9. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Limoman,

I've tried out serveral spyware programs. Ad-aware and Spybot complement each other and tend to find different pieces of spyware with the least number of false positives. Fakse positives can be a pain because I end up having to track down each alert to see if it is real or not.

Pest Control had by far and a way the most false positives with the least number of real detections, so I stay away from it. SpySweeper is O.K, but there were many FPs and so it became a nuisance and I took it off my machine. Giant Anti-Spyware at first had a few FPs but lately it seems to be a lot cleaner. It found a nasty piece of spyware yesterday that Spybot and Adaware totally missed. I am finishing up my trial period with Giant AS, and I will most probably purchase it based upon this last experience. None of the anti-viruses or anti- trojans that I ran picked up on this pience of spyware.

You may also want to look at either Process Guard 3.0 or Systems Safety Monitor as a way of trapping nasties before they have a chance to burn you. Also, I have to say that I am totally impressed with Prevx. It blocked a nasty that somehow got through FireFox and stopped and Overflow Buffer condition before it could destroy me. I used Process Guard to track down the little devil - which was hiding in Norton Systemworks and SSM's directorys somewhere - and just deleted all traces. I'm still in shock in the way that the nasty was able to get through so quickly and easily. I have KAV 4.5.104 with extended databases, BOClean, SSM, Prevx, and Giant AS all running in real-time mode, and it still got through. I am going to have to look at my FireFix options and see if I can tighhten up a bit.

Hope this helps,
    Rich

10. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

11. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.