Need New Anti-Spyware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by A1SteakSauce, Aug 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A1SteakSauce

A1SteakSauce Registered Member

Hello everyone, recently I have used Spyware Terminator and SpyCatcher. SpyCatcher conflicted with other applications too much and I didn't like how many pop-ups ST had. I would like a new Anti-Spyware application that has real time protection as well. Please let it be a freebie.

EDIT: I just found an anti-spyware on the internet... wondered if it was any good. Arovax Anti-Spyware

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I use the Spyware Terminator and don't have a lot of popups.
    Are you using the HIPS feature?

I only use the Realtime Shield, and the HIPS are disabled...

Attached Files:

• ST.png
      ST.png
      File size:
      132.5 KB
      Views:
  3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I used to use Arovax Shield, but found Spyware Terminator Realtime Shield better, because it covers more important registry entries, and will also detect the Windows Startup Folder...

4. A1SteakSauce

Thanks for your replies but I guess I'll reinstall ST for now. Until someone has a better suggestion.....

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

With the features and very low system usage of ST Realtime Shield, I can't find anything better...

Another suggestion:
    Uninstall SpyCatcher Express and try the free version of SUPERAntiSpyware.
    It's great for on-demand scan, and then you can avoid the problems with SCE...

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Reading the information on the site, it appears that it has ClamAV within. I wonder if it will conflict with AV applications. One review indicated that with KAV the system ran slower.

Jerry

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Wrong.
    After you install SF, you have an option to use ClamAV with SF. If you enable it, then SF will prompt you if you want that SF download ClamWin...

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Good, and thanks.
    Jerry

9. A1SteakSauce

yah reinstalled, disabled hips. CLAM av was the pop-ups. what does GesWall do? is it a sand box?

10. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

yes it is a sandbox. its pretty good tho it can be hard to find its GUI.

im rather surprised u asked since u have it in your sig.

11. A1SteakSauce

lol... WHAT GUI? :D didnt think there was one.

12. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Hey VC, regarding Spyware Terminator.....according to the screenshot you posted above, the only browser it appears to work with/for is Internet Explorer. Is that correct? If that's the case, then that's pretty disappointing...especially given that Firefox, Opera and other browsers marketshare has increased substantially the past couple of years while IE has been on the decline. I'm sure IE7 will be a much better browser than IE6, but there are still an aweful lot of folks who will continue to use Firefox, Opera, etc., and won't even give IE7 or any other future releases of it a chance.....

13. A1SteakSauce

I will continue to use both FF and IE. I like them both but I only use IE for pages that require IE and therefor a new version = better security right?

14. WSFuser

well i mean its settings.

u have to go into the geswall folder and double-click on gswmmcsa.msc if u want to change its mode, see logs, or customize rules for programs.
    have u ever tried IETab? its pretty neat. u can view pages in IE without having to open IE.

15. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi . What I would recommend is not to jump through many programs because you can accidentically install a rogue one .

Use only well-known software which you can trust .

I would recommend you change your AV (not because it is not good) but because you can buy some that includes all in one protection . You can have anti-threat program and then use some more on-demand scanners such Ad-Aware SE Personal , Spybot Search & Destroy or Ewido Anti-Spyware

:thumb:

16. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

They are making support for Firefox and Opera, but currently you don't need them...

The other features in Realtime shield are more important to me that the browser shield, since I use Opera...

17. A1SteakSauce

yes i am currentlyrunnning that extension. I like it alot. but the new IE is cool looking. :D
    I ahve accidentally installed Spyaxe on my older computers so i think ive learnt my lesson... McAfee SiteAdvisor!:) And about the AV... I can't buy one by myself and my dad says taht its System suite or freeware... so if you have a better freeware AV then please mention it!

I will try this thanks.
    One more layer of protection couldnt hurt.:)

18. WSFuser

i tried installing geswall but it doesnt work too well with x64.

anyways i noticed that there is a shortcut to gswmmcsa.msc in the start menu. its called GeSWall Console. i mustve not seen it before.

19. A1SteakSauce

So is GesWall like sandboxie about how you can download anything an it wont be there? Because I have downloaded Ewido Antimalware and it wont start right. Ayn help?

20. WSFuser

well i got geswall to work and after downloading a file with isolated firefox, the file was still there and it worked.

i could be wrong tho, and maybe firefox wasnt properly isolated (due to x64).

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  21. toasale

toasale Registered Member

With Spy Sweeper winning (6 years running?) again, why would you not invest in it? The initial scan is the longest, then it "remembers" the data scanned and only proceeds to check new and changed files on subsequent scans!

BUT not every package is 100%, so run an additional package, such as CounterSpy.

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

spysweeper 5 is such a resourse hog!!!. on my pc the scan takes like 2 hours even without compressed folder option ticked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.