Need network tray icon

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rainwalker, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

I am looking for a app that will sit in the tray and monitor my internet connection. I am not on a lan and only need the basic internet stuff.
    Also, is there an app that would require a password to awaken Vista from sleep mode?

TIA

Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

You mean an icon to show download/upload or what? If you just want it to show activity then try NetMeter.

3. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

To enable the Network icon in the System Tray if you are using Vista, right-click on the taskbar, click properties, click notification area, Click the Network box under System Icons, click Apply, Click OK. Then right-click on the icon in the System Tray to configure it.

To require a password in Vista, goto Control Panel, Security, Click on Require a Password when the Computer Wakes (under Security Center), Check the Require a Password box, Click Save Changes.

4. Rainwalker

Thanks you guys..........@AKAJohnDoe..there is no require a Password box....thanks again for your network info, but that won't work as i have network lan services turned off and they seem to be needed.....i thought i could enable Network List Service to get the icon up and running, but not enough.
    There has got to be a way to enable password protection for the sleep mode.....maybe a third party app?

5. AKAJohnDoe

Start/Control Panel/User Accounts and Family Safety/User Accounts and set a password. If you don't have one set for the user account, it cannot prompt you for one.

6. Rainwalker

I have a password for Administrator...........what version of Vista are you addressing?

7. AKAJohnDoe

This is not Vista version specific, in fact, it is not even Vista specific as it applies to XP as well. If you want a password to be required when the PC wakes up, the account that was in use when the PC went to sleep also needs to have a password and you have to set the require password on wakeup option for that account.

8. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I am using bitmeter with Vista and it is ok. The tray icon is kinda like zone alarm's.

9. Rainwalker

UPDATE: The password control for Sleep Mode is located Control Panel / Power Options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.