Need many primary partitions

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by lothar, Dec 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lothar

lothar Guest

Hello,

i purchased DiskDirector/BootManager today because i need a lot of primary partitions to install differnt OS for development. I thought that there is a
    way that the BootManager patches the MBR before booting into an OS so that it is possible to install Solaris, NetBSD (amd64),NetBSD (ix86),FreeBSD (amd64),FreeBSD (ix86),OpenBSD (amd64),OpenBSD (ix86),WinXP, WinXP64, WinVista, Win2000 on one drive. All of them need a primary partition to boot and the restriction to 4 primary partitions seems to be still true.

Is there any way to do this with the current version ?
    When reading the website i thought it might be behind the hide partition feature but if i understand this correctly this hiding leaves the partition visible just changes the partition type.

2. riverlink

riverlink Guest

I'd be happy with just two! I'm trying to run Solaris and WinXP off the same drive. I cannot get Solaris to install from my CD drive. Have u managed to do this ?

3. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

At the risk of being told off by the 'mods'. Don't talk to me about Solaris,

Between it and DD10 my data drive disappeared and the OS selector kept finding installs that just don't exist.

OK. My findings trying to load Solaris using OS selector were this -

System as below, XP on disk 2 and files on disk 1.

Used DD10 to make a 10Gb primary partition on the OS drive (#2) then formatted to ext2. Didn't notice that DD10 failed to commit the changes - NTFS + Solaris partition showed up in DD.

Using OS Selector - installed as per manual - it found a non existing Linux partition on the data drive (#1) and refused to be told otherwise.

Clicked on CD Boot, put Solaris CD into drive, system rebooted and Solaris installer took over - somehow this then wiped my XP data drive and installed the 10Gb on drive #1. This may have been the Solaris installer that did this, or possibly the DD10/OS Selector bit went awry.

Solaris did install, OS Selector then detected Solaris + non existent Linux partition + XP.

OS Selector would only allow two options despite it's three choices. Pressing ESC would get it to the menu - F6 did nothing and time out caused it to load GRUB and then hang.

DD10 then refused to correctly identify the Solaris position when I tried to delete it -- Disk Editor had hieroglyphics all over the place. It would then only format the drive to NTFS - FAT16 which seemed strange.

Anyhow - trying again tomorrow--- short answer is yes Solaris will install, suggest you back up disk(s) before starting and be ready for the Solaris installer to take over the system.

Colin

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

We recommend you to take look at chapter 8 of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 User's Guide.

After all Windows operating systems are installed you will be able to install other operating systems.

Please be aware that peculiarities of some operating systems may place additional limitations and/or require additional actions.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.