Need Large Mouse

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Rainwalker, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Any recommendations for a LARGE mouse? I have large hands and I want my palm to rest on the mouse body. Using a Logitech MX 518 now. I game so if wireless, response time is critical. Prefer wired.

2. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

3. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Keyboards and mice are extensions our own hands. For that reason I personally think when it comes to keyboards and mice, you really need to go visit a computer store and play touchy feely with these devices yourself and feel what feels good to you. I can certainly tell you what feels good to me, but that does not mean you will like it.

That said: http://www.squidoo.com/big-computer-mouse

4. Rainwalker

OK...thanks DVD+R...will check them out.

Hey Bill....yeah, I agree...just around here not much to try.

5. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

The Razer Deathadder is somewhat large, and has side buttons that are larger than usual.

6. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I feel your pain. I have really large hands. I use an mx518 when gaming. Most of the logitech G series were of a very similar shape. A little small, but not too bad. I like the 518 because for me it is the smoothest mouse.

I have bought many mice, many cheap mice and many expensive mice, of most brands. I like the zowie, but don't like that you can't change the dpi without picking the mouse up. But it is responsive and fair for large hands.

My favorite mouse for size is the original sidewinder. It was an $80 mouse, with little round buttons in front of the thumb. The mouse felt great, but its feet were not so smooth even with teflon slippers and its laser tracked sub-par to logitech and others. I had ikari and razer, sunbeam and ms, logitech and i don't know how many others. I have spent way too much money on mice.

I use a trackball when not gaming, which is most of the time. I used to use the ms one, but switched to a wireless logitech trackman. I hate regular mice except for gaming.

If you have any questions, ask before purchasing. Odds are high I owned it or used it, and having large hands we might like things much the same.

As for the cyber rat series, I used one for a week, not really for me and not as large as I expected.

Sul.

7. Rainwalker

Hello Sully...you saved me some $ as I was thinking about getting a Rat. 518 is smooth for sure, but I need to get away from Claw Grip. Also used to use a couple of different track balls and liked them for awhile. Not so good for gaming. Seems you have not found what you are looking for, so considering your vast experience with the many ways of the mouse, I am about to throw in the towel. :(

8. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I pretty much threw in the towel as well. For me, when I used to game a lot more, it was important to have

1. large mouse so I didn't claw grip so much - fatigued my hand like mad
    2. thumb buttons - my big mitts hit too many keys, so thumb buttons help a lot. However, most thumb buttons are positioned so it is very inconvenient for my hands to use properly -clumsy I guess is the right word
    3. dpi switching - don't know how I got along without it for so many years really

The sidewinder is actually a good mouse (the original). I bought that wireless one, and it is OK I suppose. However, the glides are yucky and they changed the thumb buttons for a worse way IMO. But my hand does lay on it very nicely. I can palm grip it or claw grip it. It is just do danged lacking in most other departments except size and thumb button.

One thing that has helped a lot is something called The AMP. There is a mouse called the "omni mouse" or gaming mouse. It is round. Quite an odd mouse. Some unique features though. I bought it (expensive) but while I felt it was a great piece of hardware, just too different and way to small for me. I was talking with one of the guys there about returning it, and he thought maybe The AMP would be something I would like, as I could use it with my "larger" mice.

Turns out I use it all the time when gaming. It basically gives me a "shift" function for my mouse keys. I use it so that whenever I mash down a thumb button (and it is hard to hit one or the other on the 518 for me) if I then also press left/right mouse button while holding a thumb button down, it can do things like press a key, etc. It gives me essentially 2 thumb buttons when my mouse only has one, or when I cannot press the one I want. You can make it do all sorts of other stuff, and the "profiles" can be application aware.

When I first got it I was using my sidewinder, and I could hit either thumb button easily, so it gave me essentially 4 thumb buttons for the price of 2. You might check that out. I wrote an application that mimics it if you want to "try before you buy" type thing. The AMP is better than my app because there is no hooking. It is fast with no apparent lag I have ever seen.

Anyhow, having spent way too much money on mice myself, I won't say don't buy and experiment, I will just say that finding that golden combination of a logitech hardware in a super sized body is just not that easy. Many have suggested Razers to me, and I have owned or used most of them. To be honest, Razers are my least favorite because the height (or lack of actually) is not right. They have some larger bodies, but for me they always encouraged more claw gripping because my palm is almost 2 inched above the body when my fingers are on the buttons. I really don't like thier designs at all for my mitts. YMMV of course.

I purchased the G9x, with the changeable grips. That is a very small mouse, even with the large grips. It is also a very nice mouse. Very very nice. I keep it and sometimes use it, but not for long. Actually, having used the mx518 a lot, and with my AMP device, I don't mind it as much as I used to.

If you don't mind the DPI issue, you might like the Zowie EC1. Get your hands on an old intellimouse ball version, you know the one everyone used at one point, slightly curved. If you like that feel, you will like the Zowie. It really is an excellent mouse, high quality feel. Don't get the model though that is "slick and hard" if your hands sweat - slippery. They had another version I think black one, that was "grippier". If that mouse had DPI on the top, that is the one I would use. Very precise mouse.

I guess thats enough. My friends always tease me about my mouse addiction lol. The only guy I know with hands near my size also liked the sidewinder. He bought the newer logitech g500. He likes it a lot. He got another for 1/2 price, so I used his for a couple months. You might like that a little better than the 518. It was very similar, but the thumb buttons were even worse for me.

later.

Sul.

9. Rainwalker

OK....I am thinking I will probably try the EC1, as my favorite track ball was the old Intellimouse. Relatively comfortable in me paw. Thanks again Sul.
    Later,
    RW

10. Rainwalker

11. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Maybe the intellimouse wasn't the right term, as I don't mean an old trackball, but the standard ms mouse used for years with the ball instead of optic. Make sure before you buy..

That corsair looks to be either much like the G9x or a sidewinder in shape. However, if you examine the specs of the corsair and others...

The exact dimensions of corsair
    118(L) x 77(W) x 39(H) mm / 3.6"(L) x 3.0"(W) x 1.5"(H).

with those of the mx518
    Dimensions: Width(70mm), Length(130mm), Height(36mm)

and the sidewinder
    Dimensions: 5.07" (length), 3.06" (width), 1.66" (height)

So, is it big or not. The height is slightly more than the 518, the width is less and the length is much less. I would hazard a guess that it is very much like the G9x. Teflon looks good to me. The buttons, I think my big hands would forever be hitting that red sniper button. I have a good friend who uses the rat and he loves that sniper button, but then his hands are much smaller.

I judge things differently now, having had so many mice to play with. I know certain mice, know thier size and feel, and can look at dimensions and know to a decent degree how well it will fit my hand.

So how do my advices fit you? Maybe we can find out. My hand, when stretching fingers as wide as possible is 10.5 inches from tip of thumb to tip of pinkie. Burying a ruler between middle and ring finger gives my middle finger a length of 4 1/8" inch. Approximate thickness of thumb, side to side is 1 3/16" and thickness of thumb, pad to fingernail is about 3/4 to 7/8 inch thick. If your hands are near that size, long and thick, and you don't like having to "claw" the 518 but are seeking to be able to "palm" a mouse for once, maybe my advices are pertinent. Or maybe your hands are a bit smaller, and you will have to adjust accordingly.

I sure wish I knew someone who had large hands when I was buying all these mice lol.

Sul.

12. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

I have this issue too. After I retired my excellent Logitech G5, I have been switching mouses back and forth. Have tried mouses like Mionix NAOS 5000, Razer Imperator, Razer Deathadder (Black Edition), Steelseries Xai. None of them were good though - while NAOS is pretty comfortable even for big hands, it has issues with it's sensor, drivers and atleast on my version, it's scroll button. Razer Imperator was just downright bad quality - cheap plastic, bad sensor, somehow too tall. The Deathadder BE was somewhat better quality, but the shape was terrible - it almost forces your hand to a akward position. Xai was a good mouse, but it had a skipping problem with the sensor, and the scroll wheel didn't always register.

So I settled for Zowie AM. Now I have three of them. I have found out that my grip actually prefers this "intellimouse" type shape. Of course I can't rest my palm with this mouse, but I nowadays just rest it on the table or on the wrist support. The sensor is perfect, the build is high quality, the shape is very classic. A good mouse overall.

But then once again, this is just me. I fear that you too have to go all this through, if you want to find the "perfect one". I can just point out that try the classic shape mouses too, not only the ergonomic ones.

13. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Another thing that helps me a lot is the mouse pad. I got a huge one - 15 x 18 inch. Really made a difference for gaming when using a regular mouse. Does nothing for my trackman use though :D

Sul.

14. Rainwalker

@ Sul....I found the Corsair just before bed last night and I was very tired. As soon as I hit the sack I realized I should have done a comparative with dimensions...sorry about that. Your hands are a bit larger then mine. Too bad about Corsair as I am a fan.
    @ Spysnake....Thanks for your input.

15. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

YouTube it. Like those folks who present their flashlight collections or what not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.