Need help with TrueCrypt

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by EncryptThis, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EncryptThis

EncryptThis Registered Member

I'm glad I found this forum and a bunch of genuises. The TrueCrypt forum seems to be down. My background, just installed TrueCrypt and I am overall very pleased with the program. I've encrypted a file container on an external USB hard drive. The computer runs a CCTV program, that records to the encrypted file container. Everything works very well, and I've gotten it to do what I need.

There's just one thing... I need to prevent people from deleting the encrypted file container. Anybody got any ideas how to do this?

In my scenario, the external USB hard drive is secured in a vented safe. It is physically secure. But I need to make it software secure. Preventing a thief from plugging the USB cord into their laptop, and delete.

Thanks a bunch in advance for your generous help.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  2. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

you keep another 2 copys that you update regular in other locations so if gets deleted or detroyed you have little worry. use AES, Serpeant encryption and they can't crack it open. chances are they just swipe the usb stick to keep. keep the program truecrypt files off the stick except the data file so it isnt obvious you used truecrypt to protect the data.

3. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Impossible except you destroy the lock button on your stick or something like that.. :cool:

4. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

what thief would leave a usb drive behind to incriminate and not take it with him lol

5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

The poster said, "External USB Hard Drive" - he never said a flash drive.

To answer your question - no, there really is no way to prevent file deletion. A TrueCrypt container is simply a file. I would consider encrypting the entire partition (the entire USB hard drive). It is very easy to do with TC and your problem would be solved.

6. dantz

dantz Registered Member

Perhaps that will solve his stated problem, but now his problem will be trying to prevent people from formatting the USB drive or wiping the partition. It's not as easy as deleting a file, but never underestimate the power of ignorance! Scenario: Somebody comes along, tries to use the USB drive, wonders why they can't get it to work and decides to reformat it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.