Need help with OpenVPN and firewall

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by joe38west2, Aug 11, 2015.

1. joe38west2

joe38west2 Registered Member

I've followed this guide to try and make it so I only transfer data through the windows openVPN client, and nothing connects outside of the VPN. However, when I do this and try to connect, I get the following errors which lead me to believe the firewall isn't allowing anything through

Code:
    Tue Aug 11 11:13:21 2015 RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: (vpn address removed): The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found.
    Tue Aug 11 11:13:36 2015 RESOLVE: Cannot resolve host address: (vpn address removed): The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found. 
    I'm on Windows 7 and followed the instructions exactly, Domain/Private profile inbound/outbound that don't match a rule are blocked, public profile (which should be the VPN connection) are left at default.

Inbound/outbound rules allowing traffic for openvpn.exe were created.

I noticed that if I changed the Domain/Profile settings to default it connected normally (as expected), and changing the settings to what the guide suggests AFTER connecting seems to work - The VPN connection doesn't go down. However, I can't connect to anything on OpenVPN with the changed Domain/Private profile settings.

Any idea what might be causing this or how I can fix it?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.