Need help with hardware issue?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Ibrad, Aug 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Hi,

So recently my Asus 1201N has been randomly shutting down. Looking over the event log I see Kernel-Power issue. With the following data in the event log
    Any their anyone who has used an Asus 1201N with any idea how to fix this issue?

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Is the fan clear? Have you been using it on carpet, blanket, your lap.

3. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

It has always been on my desk so I don't think its clogged with dust. I may have to see if I can get in the case and chek if dust has it clogged. Its a netbook so its not easy.

I just downloaded speedfan to check what it says. It says my gpu is about 70c idle. My hd is 35c idle. Temp1 is 80c idle and core 1 and core 2 are 55 idle. No idea if that points to any 1 issue though

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Being on your desk does not mean it will not, or cannot be full of heat trapping dust. It just means it takes a little longer to for dust build-up to become a problem compared to a computer that sits on the floor. If you have pets, smoke around your computer, and/or your computer sits near a heavy foot-traffic area (where dust is constantly stirred up), you will need to inspect and clean more often.

The problem with Speedfan and other aftermarket HW monitors is they frequently fail to properly identify the sensor they are reading. And they frequently show temps for sensors that don't exist on that system. For example, 80°C gives me great concern but what the heck is Temp 1o_O Is it a sensor, and if so, for what?

Most computers and motherboards come with hardware monitoring software provided by the maker. So check your utilities disk that came with yours, if you got a disk.

Alternatively, you might check Speccy (from the makers of CCleaner) to verify the temperatures (as it tends to be accurate matching sensor to label), then edit the label in Speedfan. Plus Speccy is very informative otherwise - not just with temps.

You also need to verify your fans are spinning. You should feel air movement and heat being exhausted.

5. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

True I just dusted off the case. I don't see any dust building up where the an should be exhausting putti my hand by the vent I feel heat coming out but its not very strong. It may be a defect with the parts used for my netbook though.

I have just installed speccy and its giving me the same readout at speedfan. However it has clarified temp1 is the motherboard. So that seems to be the only part running hot on the machine but I can't seem to find a way to get it to cool. When I turned it on this morning it reported it was at 60c but withen 10 mins of use it spiked back up.

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Ibrad, have you thought about using an inexpensive Cooling Pad?

7. Bill_Bright

Typically, the "motherboard" or "system" temp is the chipset or northbridge part of the chipset. They typically have a heatsink and often a small fan too. In any case, 80°C is too high - especially if when idle. If not comfortable disassembling it yourself (and no shame in that), I recommend taking it to a shop where they have the right tools and experience.

8. Bill_Bright

Good idea about the cooling pad. That said, I recommend getting a self powered one instead of one that runs off the Notebook's USB power. While these pad draw little power, it is counterproductive (in my mind anyway) to place greater demands on a system that is already overheating.

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

100% in agreement!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.