Need help with DC++

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Ethnod, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ethnod

Ethnod Registered Member

Ok, before I go anywhere. Sorry if this is not the correct section but I was not 100% sure where it should go. Second is that I'm using DC++ for the sharing of NON-copyrighted anything so please dont close or delete on that basis as I am at my wits ends with this.

I could really use some help on this one.

I just moved and have not been using my PC for a while. I have a PC that I normally use as a server but its in Boxes atm so I wanted to get this one set up on a temp basis.

So I downloaded the newest version of DC++ client (0.69:cool:. Installed it.
    I have a Netgear Router (WGT624v3). I went to port forwarding and configured it like I normally would. (using for example port 1266-1266 for TCP-UDP).
    Found out my new external IP and went to DC++.
    Selected "Firewall with manual port forwarding" and entered the selected port on both TCP and UDP.
    Left outgoing connections alone (ie on Direct connection).

Tried it and nothing it did not work.

SO I tried a few things and nothing, Then I started reading. Manual for router, DC++ help, DC++ FAQ, the web, forums. Tried a few things more.
    All I get is "An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host"

I will say that when I installed originally (earlier today I mean) nothing was comming up with the hub list so I went online and got a new hub list from http://www.hublist.co.uk/

My original hublist was http://www.hublist.org/PublicHubList.xml.bz2 but I was getting nothing from that. Look at Image1 for the error msg regarding that

And see Image2 regarding my settings for DC++

And Image3 for router settings

P.S: I've had DC++ working for years now. Never had a problem setting up (oh well the inicial problem everyone has when they have to do port forwarding for the first time as they get a router for the first time). I have also been trying differant things and also been trying and retrying to connect to hubs for hours now. over 7 to be honest. I have even reinstalled DC++ and redownloaded and then reinstalled again. I have also reset my router 2 times and started from scratch. Not including all the times I have tried differant things.

I'm completely at a loss and I need help. I know I am missing someting but I dont know what.

Please help :)

Attached Files:

2. Ethnod

Ethnod Registered Member

I understand that this is a very specific problem but I have been searching for somewhere where I can find peopel that might know and I have not had much luck.

I know that this may not be the best place for this post but if you can point me in the right direction if not I would appriciate it. I cannot find a DC++ or any Direct connect forums. DC++ dont seem to have their own forum

Any help or any direction in the right way would be greatly appriciated

3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello Ethnod, Welcome to Wilders

I dont use DC+, but try:-

1/ Leave the external /Wan IP blank

2/ change the ports used, so they are above 10000 (but below 32000)

3/ use a different port for UDP / TCP

Edit,
    Have you a software firewall installed??

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  4. Ethnod

Ethnod Registered Member

I'm behind a router, unfortunatly I need to use active which means I need to use my external / Wan IP so that DC++ will know where to return the information to and so the router will pick it up and send it back to me.

Just cause nothing else works I tried it though, still not working

5. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have just set up DC++ 698. I downloaded the Hub file o.k.

Have you got the windows firewall active?

6. Ethnod

Ethnod Registered Member

windows firewall not active

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I think we need to verify.

Have your port forward set up, but dont run DC++, go to https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and verify on that page that the IP matches the WAN IP you have (to check there is no external proxy etc), then proceed from that page to the scan test. Enter the port numbers set in your port forward, and select "user specified custom port probe". The result for your port forward ports should show as closed. If these are "Stealth" then you need to recheck your setup.

[Can you confirm that the server IP you have entered 192.168.1.2 is the IP of your PC, did you make this static]

8. Ethnod

Ethnod Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2007
  9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

So the ports where showing as closed on the scans?

Have you any security applications installed?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  10. Ethnod

Ethnod Registered Member

~removed full quote of post just above~

They are listed as closed when its not on and open when its on

No info about DC++ when its open (Image 1)

No security apps running while testing any of this, only hardware router

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2007
  11. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

What OS,...Are you running windows server or a local proxy or .net

12. Ethnod

Ethnod Registered Member

No mate, nothing funny like that (would have said)

XP pro fully updated

13. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I am running out of ideas.

As you have checked/ confirmed the setup is correct. Then it as to come down to either a possible conflict or TCP/IP corruption. (unless you have been using gpedit)

You could try a TCP/IP reset. (but you would need to fix your IP again)

14. Ethnod

Ethnod Registered Member

I'm out of Ideas as well mate. I've been at this for over 36hrs now. Well, not constant now. :p

I'm giving up. I'm presently installing Bit Torrent so we will see how this works out

Listen, thanks for all your help mate

15. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Are you not going to try a TCP/IP reset?

16. Ethnod

Ethnod Registered Member

been there done that mate.

Infact got the techs in my ISP to make it so I got a new extenal IP (incase something was banned or something like that). Lost my connection for a while a nd when it came back I had a new extenal IIP. same problem.

Tried resetting the TCP/IP incase it was a problem on my end. tried before the ISP reset and after. Nothings working.

I am stummped but sure no biggie. I'll go and get the other PC out and all should be solved eventually.

Again, thanks for all your help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.