need help with annoying wireless issue, plz help

Discussion in 'hardware' started by SnowFlakes, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnowFlakes

SnowFlakes Registered Member

Hi,

i have a problem with wireless issue, my laptop is toshiba u400 and i have a Belkin router.
    my laptop finds the router but with a very low range, if i go to the kitchen then it doesnt find my own wireless router, which it did before.
    I always used to find and connect to my own wireless router from the kitchen but few days ago it started to happend this issue,
    even if i am very near the router it still says Good signal it doesnt say Perfect as it used to before,

plz help me what to do? any suggestions are welcomed !!

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. SnowFlakes

thnx for trying to help me but it isn't the router's fault, it's my Laptop because i can't find my neighbour wireless eather :(
    any other suggestions are welcomed ?

thnx

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Pedr0, the Article that ronjor referred to you has 2 sections that perhaps addresses your issue:

4. Replace your laptop's wireless PC card-based network adapter

8. Update your firmware or your network adapter driver

In regards to updating drivers, this toshiba satellite u400 wireless driver page might help you.

5. SnowFlakes

can i buy a new wireless card and replace it with my own that i have ?

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Pedr0, if your laptop is under warranty, it's best to contact Toshiba, and see how they want to handle it. If not under warranty, network cards are not the easiest components to replace in a laptop. In theory, if you know how to do it, you could purchase a card and do the work.

Yet, not knowing how computer savvy you are, I would suggest contacting a nearby PC repair shop for a cost estimate. I would try a driver update first, or even a BIOS update, before attempting to replace any parts. If you're not sure how to do this, again, a PC repair shop could be your best bet.

7. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

If you dont mind carrying a small usb adapter, the best plan is to get an adapter. Most are less than 30 dollars.
    For short range the tplink 722n is a good choice, for medium range get the alfa 36neh, for long range get the alfa 36h. All have small omni antennas and will get you an excellent signal in your home.
    Even though my laptop has built-in wifi, I prefer using my alfa 36neh. Signal strenght is 5 bars all the time.

8. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Have you tried to disable DHCP and set settings manually? By the way, do you have protected mode on? It distracts other wireless signals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.