Need help with an external usb hard drive

Discussion in 'hardware' started by zopzop, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

Hello my sister-in-law has a Compaq Presario 1500US with Windows XP service pack 2 (fully patched, she don't want to risk upgrading to service pack 3) laptop and we're trying to get a Western Digital External USB Hard Drive (model : Passport wd1600bev) to work with it with no luck. Everytime we try plugging it in a message pops up from Windows saying : New hardware found, then it asks me for the location of the drivers.

This shouldn't be happening because the computer at her job doesn't ask for drivers to recognize the drive. We tested other usb devices on her machine and they work fine : Logitech joystick, HP printer, IBM mouse, etc....

Any idea why her machine isn't working with the external HD?

2. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Just let Windows automatically find whatever drivers it wants and you should be OK.

Additionally,a dual-connector cable is designed specifically for the WD Passport™ portable USB drive. Normally, the USB port on the PC provides enough power to operate the drive. However, there are some models of computers that do not supply enough power for the drive to operate. In those rare cases, this cable can be used to power the drive using power from two USB ports on the system.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  3. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

That's the thing we tried that and it doesn't work. An error pops up saying windows can't find the right drivers and the device will not function properly.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

zopzop, your best bet is to contact Western Digital via their Ask A Question option, for you particular Passport model.

According to a Product Description page and specifically, the Overview PDF, there is a 3 year limited warranty on Passport units. Here's the Passport's User Manual PDF, detailing several troubleshooting steps.

Perhaps the reason why it works in a business environment and not at home, is that companies usually have IT departments or outside vendors that take care of updating hardware and software to the latest specifications. If your Compaq Presario 1500US Notebook PC is way older than the Passport, it might not have the required drivers in the database thus your error message. Ask Western Digital, if the Passport is new!

5. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

Thank you hairy coo and JRViejo, I got it working now. You'll neve guess what it was!

When we tried using the external USB drive on her laptop (I didn't really notice it at the time) she had the laptop unplugged from the wall and it was running on the battery (the battery was at 37%). A friend of mine recommended we try using the usb HD drive again this time with the laptop plugged in (the battery was fully charged at this point). Guess what it worked!

Apparently we're not the only ones that had this happen to us. Its not a driver issue it's a power issue.

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

zopzop, Hairy Coo was on the right track after all. Glad to hear that you found the issue and the drive is working. Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.