Need help-Spyware..sorry don't know much

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by moeintrouble, Mar 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moeintrouble

moeintrouble Registered Member

HI guys...i've been reading some of the posts here and it seems that there is lots of people here that might be able to help me...i hope...

last week i had my computer wiped out by a computer tech...cuz i had some virus that was making my life miserable...W32.pinfi...anyway...

well when i got the computer back (Windows Xp), everything was working fine...and i decided to get Norton antivirus installed on it before i put anything else in my computer...well i had the autoprotect on and while scanning an old cd with my files it seems to have infected my computer with the same virus again...but again..this is not the mail problem,...because i had the norton installed and as soon as the virus definitions were updated...the virus was removed by norton...which made me happy...but i decided to find some free spyware and i researched online to see what would be the best...i went to download.com and decided on downloading free versions of Spybot Search and Destroy..(1.3 i think)...and the newest Webroot Spysweeper...(trial version)...well it looks like they removed about 10 spywares (or whatever you call it)....i ran both and spybot removed 7 and spysweeper removed 3...well everything was fine...and i had them all running at the same time...so i decided to go online...this all happened two days ago...well first thing I try to do is go to my hotmail...and i cant log on...i put my password in and try to sign in and nothing...blank page...it looks like it gets stuck...well i did a google search and found out that many people are having the same problem..but i don't know what i need to do...also i am getting some popups that tell me "urgent message...your computer has 47 instances of spyware.......go to www.win-fix.com.." i read in another website that this is some type of hoax...and should be reported..but i don't know what to do...do I have spywareo_O I also downloaded the Microsoft Beta Antivirus and still tells me i am clean...everything scans as clean but i can't access hotmail...it seems that;'s the only page i can't access..my inbox...i can go anywhere else...i don' tknow if it's cookies or what...i haven't changed any settings in my Internet explorer...

Do i need to download the Service Pack 2?? from windows o_O maybe that's what it is..but would that fix the problemo_O i have no idea...i hope someone can help me...i want to be able to use my computer already...i can access my emails from anywhere else but not from my house...if anyone knows anything let me know...ohh and i read also that messenger could be messed up or something that this could be the cause of me getting these popups from that win-fix website...i don't know...and also i don't know what Hijackthis or whatever you call it is...so i don't know how to do the logs that you all use...sorry...i am a rookie at all this...thanks hope to have an answer soon.... :'(

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Win-fix pop-up is usually dilvered by the Windows Messenger Service. Does the pop-ups look similar to the pic below....with the words Messenger Service in top left corner ? If so....Service Pack 2 will fix that problem by turning off the Windows Messenger Service.

Attached Files:

3. moeintrouble

thanks...let me try it...i will take a long time to download...cuz i got dial-up...i'll let u know...

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I suggest you follow the below link and order the SP2 CD.

This link---> Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD "Microsoft will ship the CD to you free of charge."

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The offer is still good I just ordered and received several more cd's. It only took four days to get them.

bigc

6. moeintrouble

thanks a lot guys for the help..i will try the shoot the messenger deal...and thanks for the link...i've ordered it already...and it is free of charge..i had read somewhere else that they charged you for it and that's why i hadn't even tried...thanks guys...i will keep you posted...this is a great site..i hope to learn some more about spyware so that i can help other people that i know prevent problems like this...

7. Beefcarver

Beefcarver Registered Member

hey isnt that how long the download will be with dial up?? 4 days.....
    Sorry my Humor is awfull. Im broad band..............

8. moeintrouble

it sure seemed that way...it took around 9 hours...i did it last night...and thank God...everything is working now guys...thanks a lot for the help...i can go anywhere and i will definately recommend this site ..the service pack took care of the popups and the hotmail problem...thanks...thanks thanks....i will keep coming here to learn more about this problems...and pass the knowledge around...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.