Need help setting up User Account on Vista

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Cherub, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

I've set up a user account on my Vista 64 bit machine since reading on here that would be a good security step. The problem I have is that I'm not sure what I've done. lol

What I wanted to do was create a user account exactly like my administrator account(same desktop,set up of my programs,etc...) but when I set up the user account this didn't happen. My question is, is there a way to do this or when setting up a user account does the settings just start with what came with the machine and changes have to be made manually.

In other words, before I knew about the User account, all my changes,etc. were done with the administrator account, now that I am aware of setting up a user account, I would like to just transfer all those settings(obviously not the admin. rights) to the standard user account.

Also, on the standard user account I did set up, my Avira antivirus and Outpost icons look as though they are not on, yet the system shows them running. Is this regular?

2. philby

philby Registered Member

Hello Cherub

You could start again and try the steps in the final post here.

Re. your problem with the AV/FW under LUA, I have Admin-installed Eset SS running fine in LUAs on Vista, so I don't know what's happened there... :doubt:

HTH

philby

3. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

Thank you, thank you. Man, I was getting PO'ed. I found some other stuff on the web but that link you gave me is the only one I could get working. I really really appreciate it.

I'm not sure what was up with Avira either. The computer said it was on, it was just the icon wasn't the same. But, when I rebooted, it fixed it. I'll keep my eye on it but hopefully it wasn't anything major.

4. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

Guys, I ran into a problem. I follow those instructions and everything seemed fine. However, I turned off the computer and the next day when I turned it on, I tried to get into the new standard user account I created and it told me that "The Group Policy Client Failed The Logon--Access Denied".

So, after trying the setup again, I couldn't get it to work.

Now, I saw this when I googled and wanted to get some Wilders' thoughts on doing this.

The original admin. account I have is the one I have used since I got the computer. What if I make a new user account and make it an administrative account with password and CHANGE that original user account to a standard account and just continue to use that account? Would that be OK or is their a problem in doing that?

5. Beta v1

Beta v1 Registered Member

Thats what Ive done for security reasons and havent had any issues.

6. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

Thanks Beta. I think that is what I will try.

It's funny how much I have adjusted that original user account with my preferences. Doesn't seem like much, but when I made that new standard account, I noticed how much I had changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.