Need help port forwarding Utorrent.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cheater87, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I can't use ipconfig to get my IP address because an error message comes up. How else can I get it?? Also the port fowarding looks confusing. Can someone help me through ito_O

2. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

I use utorrent and know of nowhere within it that requires your ip address or do you mean you want to set a static ip address for a port in utorrent. At any rate, the info should be available to you on the status page of your router. Will Command Prompt open from start>programs>accessories; I don't know but, if not, I'd be wondering why not. Meanwhile, check this list for your ISP: http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs It's not totally complete but if your ISP is there, port forwarding is pretty much useless.

3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Depending on the router you'll need to set up a service in your router settings called say Utorrent using the ports you get from the client maybe 6881-6889, then create a rule for that in inbound services set to allow giving the lan IP address of your machine - in your router status page or found in Network Connections, Support.

portforward /setting up router or firewall

4. mistycat

Quite a few ISP's will block the standard ports for Bittorrent. I would recommend 1 port over 10,000 that isn't the default.

5. cheater87

Which is a good oneo_O

6. cheater87

I did what it said but I must of done something wrong. I still get a yellow connection symbol. Should I turn off my firewall and see if that helpso_O

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

a good what? port? iirc utorrent usually selects a random port above 10000. any number would be good.

Also fowarding your ports is not hard. Just read the instructions slowly and carefully.

8. mistycat

I use 34,450 now but really any over 10,000 should be fine. At options>preferences>connection, set your port and disable UPnP. At options>preferences>bittorrent, enable Protocol Encryption: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/395674 both DHT options but only on public sites and set Global maximum connections and also connected peers to 250 - 350. Do a speed test and use your upload speed at options>speed guide>connection type. Select the upload speed nearest yours and check your speeds at various times and days to get a good average. You may also need a static ip address if your router is selecting a new one each time you restart and make sure utorrent is an exception in any firewall you have. You should also look into using PeerGuardian while downloading/uploading. Not 100% but you'll be amazed by all the companies spying on your downloading habits and reporting to the RIAA/MPAA.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  9. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.