need help. PLEASE!!!!

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by avaterera, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monsunami

monsunami Registered Member

wow. I have that same blocked o/s message and is "desperate" to find out what is going on. lol, i just stumbled on this thread after putting "americas army" in the search button. I am surprised that process guard might be blocking punkbuster. I will have to look into that. Don't want to lose process guard though.

2. BourgePD

BourgePD Registered Member

Ditto. :D

3. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Please note that uninstalling doesn't REQUIRE Safe Mode. Situations requiring Safe Mode should also never arise anymore, because the installer WON'T let you uninstall unless you do it right. Disable protection, close PG, uninstall, reboot. Still a long procedure if you include backup of DAT files

4. spiff5000

spiff5000 Registered Member

What if you change the file name for pgaccount.exe to something else, like "pgacct.exe", and change the two registry entries that refer to it:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache
    Value name: C:\Program Files\ProcessGuard\pgaccount.exe
    Value Data: pgaccount

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Vlaue name: !1_pgaccount
    Value Data: "C:\Program Files\ProcessGuard\pgaccount.exe"

5. dekm

dekm Guest

Funny, I'm having the same problem with Call of Duty PB. ONly difference is I don't even have Porcess Guard installed. This just happened today as well. Worked fine yesterday. I wonder if there is something in my virus security app from avast that pb doesn't like.

6. Keyser

Keyser Guest

BF1942 doing it too. I h8 PB. Blocked OS Priv. How much security do we have to give up to play gameso_Oo_O?

7. BourgePD

8. Addock

Addock Guest

Well if you all are running windows 64 bit it might be the reason for the trouble. Ihave just now as of march 6th got the errors you have been discribing. I think it is the windows 64bit. They must have disabled support for it or forgot about it anyhows. I have burned the back half out of the internet for answers for anything and nothing works. So until PB gets it fixed we all are going on withdrawls. EERRR. >:{.

Ps parden the spelling and write PB about the problem.

9. war59312

war59312 Registered Member

I just got this in quake 3. :(

Running winxp sp2 pro 32bit so not just 64bit.

I am running pbweb as i write this to make sure pb is up to date.

Well thats no use.

This just started happening today.

Well e-mailing them now. :(

Typical response. :(

Please temporarily disable other security type programs you have running such as anti-virus, process guard, SDProtector, etc. to find out which of them is blocking PB's access to resources on your computer. You either need to run PB without the blocking program(s) or play on non-PB servers.

All right guys is this true?

This is a temparary measure. We are working with Diamond to get better detection in that will allow you to run PG and play on PB servers.

And what about this:

We have contacted Diamond, I think they may have made an announcement on thier site. As soon as we have a good way to detect programs restricting PB, we will remove the check.

I dont see any announcment anywhere?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  10. brutt01d

brutt01d Guest

I have the **** too. Return to Castle Wolfenstein...

The months before, they caused a lot of problems with "insufficient OS privileges" kick. That was luckily fixed by logging in as admin and giving extra rights to the user (we are not crazy yet to play as administrator, that's moronly unsafe). At the same time our EnemyTerritory server was made clean of PB just but kicking its ass and runs without that ****.

Now, the **** the evenbalance created now is over the top! We have W2k+Novel here, nobody has admin rights and we all run McAffe VShield Virus Scan, which we cannot even disable. Now that is simply unbearable!!! There is no other way than not to play the game!! Well, all that remains is to play EnemyTerritory... The ****ers are really killing the game (RTCW).

11. azumi21

azumi21 Registered Member

i am a rtcw player too. same error (4fc) as you and many more.
    these pb idiots are really pissing me off.
    i'm all for kicking cheaters, but i will not leave my system vulnerable
    to let them have full control.

12. dekm

dekm Guest

13. war59312

war59312 Registered Member

Yes this issue started with 1.150 of PB.

I hope it's fixed soon.

And thanks for the link. Just made a post there as well and still waiting from a pb to respond to another e-mail.

Still have not recieved a single reply from Dimond. :(

14. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

From the punkbusted forum ...
    Their GAME protection is what's over-protective (modifying other processes is often a policy violation) - not security programs (which are simply trying to prevent such attacks), and telling people to turn off security software in order to play what is just a game is recklessly irresponsible - and this at a time where Internet attacks have never been more abundant.

"Client-side cracking" (where the cracker has physical access to the software) is virtually impossible to prevent completely due to the nature of software and all things digital, so although they're using extreme measures, in reality they're not much more effective at stopping crackers, and crackers are only a minority of people using the program anyway so it's inconveniencing everyone just because of a few. There are many ways to go about protecting software, and as a software vendor ourselves we are no different - our software is subject to attacks by crackers, so we too have to protect our software ... but not if it means compromising or inconveniencing customers! That is when things have gone too far, so don't just sit back and let them do this - tell them how you feel.

I've contacted the head of Punkbuster who promptly got back to me and told me it was just a temporary measure until they can work out an alternate solution. The main problem is that ProcessGuard can be used to prevent process modification, and Punkbusters protection relies on process modification, so ProcessGuard was being used to easily defeat their protection, so you can understand why they've taken a temporary measure, but they have gone too far and they themselves admit it's an extreme solution, and the ease in which programs like ProcessGuard can be used to defeat the protection is also a good indication of how weak the protection actually is (as opposed to ProcessGuard being "over-protective"). I'll try to work with him to find a solution that will help increase their protection without compromising their customers security. Wish me luck ...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  15. BourgePD

Good luck, Wayne! :D

16. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

All the best Wayne - as I sincerely doubt the PB folks will be willing to listen :blink:

All the same, let us hope otherwise!

17. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

This is why it's important for others to let Punkbuster know how they feel - many hands make light work :)

18. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

hmmm this is a very good point - I had not thought about it that way before. I suppose I had ought to send in my complaints about BFVN while we are at it.

(BFVN= Battlefield Vietnam)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  19. Socio

Socio Registered Member

Hey that is pretty cool seeing Wayne step up like that, and he did so quite politely too, I am impressed.

If it had been me and someone put my current customers at risk by having to disable or remove my product, put future sales of that product in jeopardy and slandered my companies good name by virtually labeling one of my products a cheat tool I would have been stomping some serious mud holes in someone’s back end I can tell you that right now, but then I have a slight temper what can I say.

Thanks for stepping up Wayne!

20. Dwarden

Dwarden Registered Member

Good to hear this news Wayne ... as PB going to expand into many upcoming games solution will be really welcome ...

21. azumi21

very true!

e-mail them:

support@evenbalance.com

let them know how you feel about them ruining your online games.

22. dekm

dekm Guest

YAP YAP, Agreed! Here's what I sent them.

Dear Sir or Madam,

I'm writing this email to inform you that your anti-cheat software has made the game I paid hard earned cash for useless. A few days ago I tried to log on to my favorite server on Call Of Duty United Offensive only to be kicked indefinitely. After researching what was happening I came to the conclusion that something your company had updated in it's software was not allowing my game to function. The error I receive is "blocked o/s privileges :507". I understand this is supposedly related to ProcessGuard as something hackers were using it to disable PB and I should shut "Please temporarily disable other security type programs you have running such as anti-virus, process guard, SDProtector, etc. to find out which of them is blocking PB's access to resources on your computer. You either need to run PB without the blocking program(s) or play on non-PB servers.". I have gotten this canned message along with a lot of other unhappy gamers. Well I have never heard of Process Guard until this week and I disabled all other security software "quite ludicrous if you ask me, considering Pb is supposed to stop hackers not encourage them to perform other malicious attacks on gamers?" none of that works. I understand you are very busy people with a lot of other problems to sort through. All I/we are asking in the gaming community is that you at least acknowledge that there is a serious error with your update and you are working to sort it out. Our tickets are falling on deaf ears.

23. I'm going to try and keep this short, so I will drop some of my manners for the sake of efficiency.

I don't speak for Even Balance or work for them. I'm a simple game server admin who forks out a not so insignificant sum of money, to supply a place for legit people to have some fun. I do my best to keep the cheating selfish losers out. All for free. I and about 20,000 other server admins use Punkbuster to aid in this job.

I am not going to blame Even Balance for this situation with PG. This is caused dirrectly by the cheat writers. So let's put the real blame squarely where it belongs and leave it there.

I encourage Diamond to work with EvenBalance for a solution, so that both products can coexist. Some people would argue that their basic security has more priority than punkbuster. I can understand that. Logical thinking.
    However, EB's product is also very important to online gaming and obviously millions do like to play online or they wouldn't be using it. So in the short term, I guess you have some choices to make. The world will never be perfect and niether will software.

If you want PG then I suggest you play on non punkbuster servers until this is resolved. There is nothing wrong with that. There are quite a number of them. Although you might be playing along side with a lot of banned cheaters these days.

For you league players the choice is a little harder as most leagues enforce PB use. But then again I would expect that for league play, you are playing on trusted servers anyway. I would certainly hope you are. Yes I know you won't like uninstalling PG for that, but it's not that hard to do until resolved. You can use a common firewall product while playing, so it's not like you are unprotected.

For a large number of game server admins. We want EB to continue in the direction they are taking.
    Yes I happen to know that as a fact. Game admins also have communities and for the most part they are taking a stand of support behind EB. Remember we are the people that give you a place to play for free. We have a right to protect our systems and communities from abuse by idiots with downloaded skills and we are using PB for that task. If you read the gaming forums you will see the vast majority of players also appear to be behind this as well. These are significant numbers as compared to the few complaints.

PG is a fine product. But it is just a product. PG choses an invasive method and so has EB with their product. Both have a right to do that. PG inhibits PB function and now PB limits PG's use while it is active. I'd say that is fair in a coldhearted sort of way, for now.

The future dictates that this situation is going to be an issue seen more often between certain products on the market. In this particular case I feel it's best to resolve this so both products may function together for mutual benefit.

I'm here with purpose. I obviously wish to lobbie PG and EB to work together for everyones benefit.... except for cheaters and other low life types of course. I'm not here like some, with indignation that EB has done wrong. Neither am I blaming PG for blocking PB's important functions. I'm here to encourage co-opperation as compared to a non productive standoff. So far it looks like there might be co-opperation and that is excellent. Good Public relations for both companies.

Although this is a problem for those with PG. For a number of others, PB has had a positive side to it. Some people have discovered their systems were rooted or infected with other malware etc. That's a good thing. Hell of a way to find out unfortunately. But it has helped these people in the long run.

Seeing as I touched the subject, I can't resist.
    It's also nice to see a couple of cheaters here in this thread. I recognise your writing styles, poor as they are. Did you guys buy PG or steal it like most cheaters when they found out it could help them cheat? How many never registered a purchase after download? The Crack for PG sure made the rounds fast in your groups.
    Word sure speads quickly in the cheater forums and the righteous indignation starts as some can't resist posting here I see.

24. azumi21

You type too much to not be affiliated with PunkBuster/Even Balance.

PunkBuster doesn't find any malware. It was an efficient way to keep of cheaters off.
    Unfortunately with the latest Server Side update - it black listed Process Guard.
    This needs to be corrected by them.

No one here is a cheater or a cracker.
    This is a loyal Diamond / Process Guard forum.
    We want our online gaming back with the proper security that is needed in this online world.

e-mail PunkBuster:

support@evenbalance.com

Express your views to them.

25. dekm

dekm Guest

o_O Uhh have you even read any of the posts before yours? I don't have PG, didn't even know what the f&^%ing thing was until a few days ago. I think you are missing the point completely here. There are a lot of users getting kicked from servers with absolutely no security apps running and everyone is telling us it's PG. The only answer we get is that canned msg from pb, disable pg or go somewhere else! Then you come on here and tell us we are cheaters?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.