need help. PLEASE!!!!

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by avaterera, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BourgePD

BourgePD Registered Member

Unfortunate to have this 'problem'. I play AAO while running PG just fine.

Attempting to run AAO without appropriate User Rights Assignment appears to be your problem and is not uncommon.

Resolution:

Go to START...RUN...type:secpol.msc <hit enter>
    -or- Go to START...SETTINGS....CONTROL PANEL...ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS...LOCAL SECURITY POLICY
    This will open up the Local Security setting window.
    Expand the Local Policies folder and select User Rights Assignment.
    This will bring up a list of security settings for the computer.
    You will need to add the user that will be launching the game to have the following privileges.

-Debug Programs
    -Load and unload device drivers
    -Manage auditing and security log
    -Modify Firmware environment values
    -Profile Single Process

This is done by double clicking on the setting and then the "Add User or Group" Button.
    You can either type the user or group name into the field or click on advanced to select from a list.
    If you select advanced, you may need to click on the "Object Types" Button and make sure all 3 boxes are checked.
    Then click "OK". Click on the "Find Now" Button to generate a full list of all users and groups on the system.
    Highlight the user you want to add the rights to and click "OK".
    Keep clicking "OK" untill you are back at the Local Security Settings window.
    Repeat this process for the rest of the list.

Note: If the user is logged in while making changes, the user must be logged out and back in for the changes to take effect, or Reboot PC.

That should do it. See you on Bridge SE but keep your head down. Alright then, soldier. Move out! :D

http://forum.americasarmy.com/viewtopic.php?t=74794

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=faq-aa.php

BTW, another 'problem', or not, is that you do not appear to be a registered user at Wilders and therefore will not see this post until you return. Were you a registered user, it's possible to have received the contents of this post via email. With time and distance being a shortcoming of email, not sure you would receive a resolution faster but sure would have been an option.

Take care and have fun. :D

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  2. avaterera

avaterera Guest

When did u play last timeo_O

3. avaterera

avaterera Guest

BourgePD o_O

4. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

BourGePD,

thanks for trying to help, however I am not in this case, I am under Administrator account, I just checked the user policies and I have them all.
    Needless to add again that AAO has always worked for months under this same account and PG running.

The problem is elsewhere, and if avaterera confirms that only uninstalling ProcessGuard "solves" this problem, then it is really something related to ProcessGuard and not to system or user policies (in our case).

@avaterera
    I have sent an email to Evenbalance, and informed Wayne as well. As soon as I have informations I'll tell you here.

Regards,
    gkweb.

5. BourgePD

Understood. That kick notification he got:

seems key. I'm running AAO on my other box right now. The only issue I had when upgrading to AAO 2.3.0 was that I had to update PunkBuster manually. Hope he resolves his issues quick and gets back in on the fun.

:D

6. BourgePD

Alright. Now I'm baffled. Have been playing v2.3.0 since the day after it came out, this last evening even. Now I just started having problems.

Errors:

"Punkbuster is working to authenticate and/or update your PunkBuster software". Received that after performing a manual update.

Now also getting the error message "Blocked O/S Privileges". Seems bogus as I'm running the box as admin.

My logs show nothing unusual. Dropped a 'trouble ticket' at Even Balance.

I'm definitely not amused. :rolleyes:

7. gkweb

Welcome to the club of the baffled users ;)

8. avaterera

avaterera Guest

reply from PB:

At this time you need to choose whether you want to run processguard and/or similar programs or play on PB servers. Both are optional software so it is your choice. I understand if you don't want to close processguard. In that case, you just need to play on non-PB servers.

what now?

9. gkweb

LOL

that's just completly hilarious, this is called software blacklisting, which means
    that every user which prefer to play above all will throw PG away or will not buy it.

For other people like me for who the security is over the entertainment, then we simply cannot play anymore.

I hope Wayne will sue them...

10. avaterera

avaterera Guest

DiamondCS have got a problem because people who want to play in AAO won't buy PG...

11. avaterera

avaterera Guest

or mayby they will even complaint about PG in store (because of PG they can't play AA) . PB is a piece of ****!!!

12. avaterera

avaterera Guest

PG cost a lot of money...

13. BourgePD

I'm definitely not amused as AAO is the only online game I have been playing these days. Needs to be a satisfactory resolution other than "either this or that". :rolleyes:

14. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

To the game players:

Once solution you might want to consider is using First Defense-ISR by Raxco(www.Raxco.com). What you would do is install your game, Process Guard and all your normal software as you normally do. You would have your game ready to go, Process Guard running etc. Obviously in this configuration you couldn't go online and play. Then create another snapshot(call it games) of your disk with FDISR. When you want to play online, boot into that snapshot, turn off PG or as an extreme even uninstall it. Go on line and play to your hearts content. Even if something gets on your machine and infects you it doesn't matter. When you are done, just reboot into your primary snapshot, and if you like refresh the games snapshot which would get rid of anything bad the got on the system. Should be the best of both worlds. Only requirement is adequate disk space.

Pete

15. gkweb

That would be too much "extreme" for me but, anyway, thanks for trying to find a solution Peter :)

Regards,
    gkweb.

16. avaterera

avaterera Guest

for me too much extreme too

17. Josh00Si

Josh00Si Guest

PB has blocked this for a very good reason. Those who play AA know the issue with cheaters in the game. Though it may be software blacklisting as of now I see it necessary for the game.

This is a quote taken from the most visited cheat site for AA.

They have been using this software for a very long time to block certain aspects of there cheats.

18. avaterera

avaterera Guest

so I have to uninstall PG in order to play AAO?

19. BourgePD

Far to cumbersome. As far as I am concerned EvenBalance has no business whatever telling any of us what security softwares we will and will not on our machines. I am angry beyond words at

that type of response. Their approach goes far beyond attempting to eliminate "punks" and has entered the realm of extreme intrusiveness and are attempting to control what security-related softwares users are 'allowed' to run on their machines in order to play a game.

I have no intention of uninstalling PG, probably my most important installed security app, to appease EvenBalance and their 'PunkBuster'. Perhaps the folks at DCS can weigh in with a solution.

:D

20. Peter2150

Rebooting is to extremeo_O It is obvious that crying about this isn't going to help. The game people for whatever reason won't let you play with Process Guard. So if you want to play you have no choice to but to be unprotected.
    What I was suggesting was a way to be able to play while unprotected, without suffering any penalty should something get on your machine.

If that is to extreme I withhold my towel for all the crying. :D

Pete

21. gkweb

Peter,

that requires to buy another software, to use extra HDD space for this, and only because of bad choice of someone else, in the sole purpose to play to a video game.

Yes I call that "extreme" for me :)

Regards,
    gkweb.

P.S : that's not clear yet if they will change the ProcessGuard blacklisting or not. I have sent them an email providing a solution, and I am also awaiting Wayne's come back to hear his thought.

22. BourgePD

As I mentioned, the process is cumbersome in that more often than not, uninstalling PG requires intervention via Safe Mode and manual verification that files procguard.sys, procguard.dll and pguard.dat are removed. Then of course, there's the process of re-installation...

Still, EvenBalance has no business telling users what security softwares we will and will not on our machines.

Seems to me a workable solution can be had between DCS and EvenBalance. I still have a 'trouble ticket' open with EB and working toward a peaceful resolution.

Thanks for your input though. :D

23. Peter2150

It is not as troublesome as you would think. You would first setup a game snapshot, which does take a bit of time as it is copying your whole disk. Then once that is done you reboot into that snapshot, uninstall PG in that snapshot and basically set it up to play. THen it would be a matter of if you want to use your machine for non game activity you would reboot into your primary snapshot, and when you want to play just reboot into the game snapshot.

Once set up this is as quick as a reboot. The caveat of course is while playing the games if you wanted to do something where you need the protection you would have to quit the game. This is a trade off.

24. BourgePD

That's not the only trade off. I don't 'need' imaging software in the first place. :p

25. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

An update on the situation can be found here.

Good news for those of us with ProcessGuard and also enjoying playing games :).

Regards,
    Jade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.