Need Help Please: What got into my computer?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by hawki, Aug 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Yesterday I went to a reputable website and got a redirect to what looked like a Google web page showing the results of a search. The search was for the web site I intended to visit but with a prefix in the "Google" search box: "415++++ call the governor" . The same thing happened for the next website I visited. I did actually click on one of the results and it brought me to an article of that name ("Call the Governor") on the original website I had intended to visit initially. I closed and reopened my browser (Firefox 5) and the redirects did not occur anymore.

I use NIS 2011 on access full time. I then scanned with both Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes and they found nothing.

Today I started the trial of Malwarebytes Pro with NIS 2011. All day, maybe once an hour I get a pop-up from Malwarebytes saying: "Blocked an attempt by your computer to access a malicious website: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. And specified port 60305.

I searched the numbered url ( was of those like 212.575.175.384 - these are just random numbers I am using). The site is hosted in Luxenburg and according to ThreatExpert report it "Produces outbound traffic. Downloads/requests other files from Internet. Creates a startup registry entry. " http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?md5=3938169979a8d5278971650033207ca2

My Norton history shows nothing.

What has infected my PC and do I have any good alternative to reformatting or continuing to rely on Malwarebytes Pro to block it.

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  3. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Thanks Swex :)

4. hawki

hawki Registered Member

5. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

You might try Hitman Pro, and also do an Early Warning Scoring (dropdown menu around next button)

6. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I would also scan with one or more of the following:

1. SuperAntiSpyware Portable
    2. Malwarebytes AntiMalware
    3. Dr.Web Cureit

7. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

in this order
    rkill
    hitmanpro
    mbam

if those don't find it run the Emsisoft Emergency Scanner in Deep Scan mode.

8. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

You might want to try rescue CD's from Kaspersky and Avira and see if they find anything.

9. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.