Need help on bandwidth monitoring software

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by avboy, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avboy

avboy Registered Member

Hi, I need help from you guys on traffic monitoring software. For the last few days I suspected high outgoing data from my PC. Yesterday after installing DUMeter I saw outgoing data to the tune of 40 to 50 MB on each day. This has got me worried. I want to find out where the data is going and which application is sending it. If you guys can help me, I need the following:

1. Which apps is sending the data. This I think I can get with wireshark.
    2. But I also need to know which sites are getting the data, like 20MB to ip X.X.X.X and 10MB to ip y.y.y.y or even their resolved names. I dont know how to get this. I have a single PC without any router of my own, but just a USB stick broadband modem.

Thanks

2. traxx75

traxx75 Registered Member

NetLimiter allows you to see traffic transferred per process, and to which hosts it is transferring data [and how much], but I don't think the freeware monitor-only version records historical data so you'd have to sit there and watch it. From memory, the Pro version will record this.

On a related note, it is not unusual for your PC to send that amount of data per day purely in acknowledgement packets. These are sent out by your PC to places you download data from to say that you've received packets that make up the data. This can actually go into the hundreds of megabytes if you download large amounts of data.

For peace of mind, though, have a look at NetLimiter. I'm not aware of any freeware alternatives with the same functionality, unfortunately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.