Need help getting things clearer

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by leifli, Oct 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leifli

leifli Registered Member

Hi,

I´ve downloaded the trial version too see if this is the tool I need. I´ve read the manual that follows, but since I´m not an native English speaking person, I´ve some problems understand the differences between backup, images and clones o_O

What I need is mainly two things:
    1. Possibility to restore my hdd if (for some reason) it would crash. If I use the Image function, will I be able to restore all information from my "old" hdd. Meaning that I don´t have to reinstall all programs etc...?

2. If I get me a new hdd. Is it the Clone funtion I use to "move" everything to the new hdd?

To make this short, what´s the difference between Cloning and Imaging?

Would very much appriciate help with this. Please, also in an "easy" English ;)

Take care
    Leif

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, leifli

A Clone is Copy of one HDD to another HDD.

An Image is a copy of all of an HDD, or a Partition on a HDD in a compressed file called a .tib file, you can also make an Image of data file, which can be created [backed up to] on almost any media. [CD, DVD, HDD, USB HDD, etc].

I hope this is of some help.

PS: etc = et cetera, means many more or others.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

When cloning, everything on the source drive is put on the destination drive so that the destination drive looks jsut like the source -- you can seel all the dirs and files -- they're all there.

An image type backup takes copies allthe data on the source drive and packs into a file, which then can be used by ATI to unpack all that content from that backup/image file onto another disk.

Note that if the source drive in question is a system drive, the backup or clone will work correctly as a system drive if used as a system drive in the same machineas the origianl source drive -- but in a diff machine, with diff hardware, the original content might not have the right drivers.

sh

4. dld

dld Registered Member

To add to the above read this.

5. leifli

leifli Registered Member

That´s very helpful information :)

That note about the need to keep to the same hardware is also very important. I didn´t notice that in the manual.

Thanks a lot guys. Much appriciated :thumb:
    Leif

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.