Need help finding where an email came from

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Apr 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I need to find out where an email originated from. It is from a hotmail account and I have traced the sender's IP address to Verizon. But that just shows Verizon's New York corporate address. Is there any other way to find out where the email originated? Well, short of subpoenas and depositions involving the possible sender?

FWIW- this involves a case where an accuser has sent an email to someone and recants her original accusations. If she claims to have never sent the email we will be back to square one and have to try and subpoena Verizon's or Hotmail's records. But I'd like to have a bit more information on things I should know about determining where the email came from first.

Thanks for any help.

2. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I do not think this is a sophisticated email sender. If I can subpoena the ISP records shouldn't they have records of the internet activity of the subscriber account that sent the email?

Even if she denies sending the email-If I can narrow down the sender's computer IP then I think we have a good piece of evidence (at least for impeachment) should we be able to place the sender near her computer at the time the emails were sent.

If she denied making a statement that went toward a collateral issue I think we have a much more difficult time getting the statement in, even if we could pretty much prove she made the statement.

Well hopefully she'll just admit she made the statement in the email.

BTW- thanks for the links.

4. MrDrEaMeRs

MrDrEaMeRs Registered Member

how do i find out where a e-mail came from trying to find my dauther if anyone can help me ill be 4ever in their debt ty :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.